[req] more button options

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
Perhaps if the keyboard-centric users who post here also worked daily (and heavily) in tools which have powerful, flexible, configurable mouse/pointer-centric GUI interfaces (any MS Office product, for instance, or Corel Paintshop Pro, or any [...])
Hm, I use PSP and Open Office (sometimes also MS Office) once in a while, and I make heavy use of their keyboard shortcuts.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

This "mouse-centric" vs. "keyboard-centric" discussion doesn't make sense as we talk about the buttonbar.
I'm actually using the left mouse button to click on buttonbar buttons - I just don't like the overloading of these buttons and the overloading of the configuration interface.
Clo

Mouse is great !

Post by *Clo »

2JohnFredC

:) Hello John !
I have my flame-retardant suit on... flame me all you like.
• Not at all ! I use also mainly the mouse, and I agree your statement 100%.
- It's obvious that this programme tends to impose a certain dictatorship of the keyboard, and doesn't take care of the mouse-lovers - a large majority among the whole users in big Companies and Services, our Dear cash cows.
• This appears in the Help: About any topic, you can read "Press…Press…Press…"
:| Sorry, I've no chimp's hands, but only two human damaged ones…

- So, requests about the mouse use and the subsidiary stuff coming with are not very considered…
¤ For instance, impossible to get an option to retrieve the same button-bar when I restart TC while I've closed it with a bar which is not the damned «default».
- This shouldn't cost a ton of codes, it needs just to get rid of the notion of "default" … and to turn over the brain by 180° ;)

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2006-12-03, 00:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I just don't like the overloading of these buttons and the overloading of the configuration interface.
A small arrow on each button config which opens extended configuration for MMB, RMB and toggle state, that's all. If you don't need it, just don't use it. You won't even see a difference.

It's very hard to understand how one can vote against such an enhancement, it just makes no sense. Disappointing, laugh freezes for now. :evil:

Icfu
This account is for sale
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hacker wrote:JohnFredC,
Hm, I use PSP and Open Office (sometimes also MS Office) once in a while, and I make heavy use of their keyboard shortcuts.Roman
"Heavy use of their keyboard shortcuts."

My point exactly. :wink:
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Clo

CQFD !

Post by *Clo »

2JohnFredC

:) Hi John !

“Quod erat demonstrandum”:lol:

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hi Roman...

Simply this: more experience using pointer/mouse-centric UI interfaces leads to better skills in designing them. If you are still mostly using the keyboard, for instance, then you are missing out on many of the productive features of modern mouse-centric software.

If a person uses keyboard shortcuts instead of a mouse in software designed specifically to be used with a mouse (such as you claimed for yourself in your post), then that person is less likely to have something to contribute to the design of a pointer/mouse-centric UI.

For just one example (of many), PSP (V8 and up) has one of the best implementations of multiple side-bar panels I have encountered (tabs, floats, docks, etc). If one doesn't use those features of PSP (which are primarily pointer/mouse-centric features), then one is less likely to see how such an interface design might apply to a TC panel (of folders, favorites, etc) or understand what parts of the design would work in a TC context, what parts wouldn't, etc.

Here is an analogy: If I was judging haute couture in Paris, I'd be looking at the models, not the dresses, right? Which would be completely missing the point. :wink:

I am not trying to convert you (or others) to the mouse, or slow/cease the keyboard-centric design of TC! I just want a better TC for mouse-centric me!
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
If a person uses keyboard shortcuts instead of a mouse in software designed specifically to be used with a mouse (such as you claimed for yourself in your post), then that person is less likely to have something to contribute to the design of a pointer/mouse-centric UI.
Ah OK, I misunderstood your previous post, then.

Roman
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

2 Ghisler (author)Do you have any idea if it can be done inside TC ? and for which version.....
What you think about it ??