1) confirmation messages / 2) faxviewer

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

raytc

Post by *raytc »

icfu wrote:This can only be seen in the subkey "OpenWithList", you mean that?

If that is the case (if not please see P.S.):

Delete the following keys:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx
2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFXCTL32.EXE
3. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFVW32.EXE

After that right click fax document, open with and reassign.

Icfu

P.S.:
Start regedit-navigate to the key .xxx, press file export, save on desktop, open with notepad and post the content.
Please tell me why I have to change register keys?

I tried Servant and other file managers and there's no problem clicking
on fax files.

Total Commanders present always the open with window and does not save the option for the future.
raytc

Post by *raytc »

icfu wrote:This can only be seen in the subkey "OpenWithList", you mean that?

If that is the case (if not please see P.S.):

Delete the following keys:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx
2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFXCTL32.EXE
3. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFVW32.EXE

After that right click fax document, open with and reassign.

Icfu

P.S.:
Start regedit-navigate to the key .xxx, press file export, save on desktop, open with notepad and post the content.
I did as you proposed:
Same error again.

Choose the program to open this file" starts.
I select the reccomanded program and the option "always use the selected program" but Total Commander does not remember this option
and next time I click on a fax document I receive again the windows
Choose the program to open this file.
:-(
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Please tell me why I have to change register keys?
Because your registry entries regarding fax documents are corrupt.
I tried Servant and other file managers and there's no problem clicking
on fax files.
Other file managers handle file extensions in different order, they often ignore the user key in contrary to TC.
Total Commanders present always the open with window and does not save the option for the future.
"Open with" is a windows function, TC has nothing to do with whether the setting is remembered or not. You can right click the extension and assign the program in Explorer, it won't work, too! Don't tell me it does please.

Last try:
1. Export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xxx
2. Check the default value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xxx and then
3. Export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DefaultValueYouHaveJustChecked
4. Export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFXCTL32.EXE
5. Export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WFVW32.EXE
6. Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx

I can't help you without that information, sorry.

Anyway, if you delete the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx Total Commander would use the machine dependent key. It's simply not possible that after that it's working in Explorer and not TC.

If it's working after that in Servant Salamander that one is using either completely other registry entries or ini settings which don't affect Explorer or Total Commander.

Icfu
This account is for sale
raytc

Post by *raytc »

icfu wrote:
"Open with" is a windows function, TC has nothing to do with whether the setting is remembered or not. You can right click the extension and assign the program in Explorer, it won't work, too! Don't tell me it does please.
Icfu
I understand that it is a windows function but believe me or not, in explorer there's no window asking me how to handle these fax files.

I've noted that the explorer handled correct the fax extensions even if there's no fax extension in the file lists (may'be in the .ini list).
However I added manualy the extension in the file list and now even in TC everything works well.

Thank you very much for your time dedicated at my problem.