TConsole plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2Pete Can you check what happens if you run in TConsole some command with lot of output (something like grep) and detach console via right click? Is detached console also works slow?
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello VadiMGP,

well, when running KEN! server and TConsole at the same time, also detached console is running this slow. And speed does not depend on amount of output.

By the way, in task manager CPU usage/kernel times jump up to 100% just by calling TConsole without entering/executing any dos command.
Closing TConsole or KEN! leads to normal behavour again (CPU usage between 3 and 5%).

Somehow some networking stuff/routines must interfer between TConsole and KEN! ...

Best regards
Pete
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2Pete
also detached console is running this slow
It's very strange, because detached console is absolutely identical to separate cmd.exe.
Can you check who takes most of CPU time? KEN, cmd.exe or TC?

BTW What processor you use?
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello VadiMGP,

here is the data You have requested for:

- P III 650MHz, 512 MB RAM, Riva TNT 2 Model 64 (32 MB). 1 network card, 1 ISDN card, but 2 local IP adresses (1 IP attached to network card, 1 IP attached to KEN! server software)

KEN! is running, then:

- Most CPU time takes TOTALCMD.EXE after calling TConsole. (Process CMD.EXE, which is opened with this call, behaves normal.)

- Detach console (a second process CMD.EXE is opened):
TOTALCMD.EXE is still eating the ressources (100%).

- Closing this detached console results in closing one CMD.EXE process. CPU usage still 100%.

- Closing KEN! while TConsole still open results in normal CPU usage (between 2 and 5%).

- Restarting KEN!: TOTALCMD.EXE (with TConsole still open) will eat all ressources again and will slow down whole system.

A new aspect I have noticed and we should also consider of: Changing screen resolution. My TC is always running in full screen mode (1280x960) -> slow, while TConsole and KEN! are running at same time. Scaling TC to 800x600 while still in 1280x960 mode-> fast (Almost normal behavour like in full screen mode if KEN! or TConsole would not run.)
Resizing to original screen resolution will slow down again.

Does TConsole use any network ressources? Are any network functions involved when TConsole is running?
Is it possible to call TConsole within TC from command line instead of network neighbourhood (for testing purposes, somehow like a TConsole.exe)?

I hope I can help You somehow with this.
By the way, correcting this misbehaving does only make sense when there are several users who encounter these problems, too.

Does anyone run jana server? Do similar problems occur?

VadiMGP, thank You for Your efforts.

Best regards and a nice weekend
Pete
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2Pete
I really run out of guess! :(
Unfortunately, it's impossible to run TConsole outside from TC.

TConsole doesn't use any network resources nor any network functionality.
"Network neighbourhood" in this case is just name for place where plugins are located.

Only essential elements of TConsole is intensive using of console management functions.

Screen resolution issue makes all situation even more mysterious. Did you tried other values? 1024x768?

May be KEN or video driver use some 16-bit modules? Sometimes it can be reason for performance degradation, but 100% CPU...?!

Anyway I'll test it with different screen resolutions also.
If you'll notice something new let me know, please.
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello VadiMGP,

as far as I could see, KEN! does not use any 16bit modules. If virus scanning from within KEN! is enabled, internal AntiVir is called, and there is a 16bit DLL (sys_rw16.dll). But I have disabled virus scanning within KEN!.

And capi20.dll (16bit, which I have in system folder) is only used if a 16bit application is calling for this DLL.

Different screen resolutions I have not tested yet.
But I checked TC with 800x600 again, and CPU usage went down from 100 to 47% with TConsole and KEN! running at same time.

Concerning 16bit calls I have not checked graphic card driver yet.

Besides TConsole 2.0 I have installed the following file system plugins: PluginsManager 1.22, Procfs 2.0 (Task Manager), Services 2.3.0.182.

For now KEN! is disabled. Opening procfs and TConsole in two tabs at same time will result in "Show Console ... 0" in TConsole tab without command prompt of TConsole, but right click on this entry will enable TConsole options. Double click on it has no effects.
With KEN! enabled same effects occur, only that CPU usage stays normal (3 to 5%).

Back to the 100% of CPU usage and KEN enabled: Only if TConsole tab is in foreground, or is single tab/panel, CPU usage will jump to 100% and stay there until tab is changed, or TConsole closed.

By the way it does not matter if I run TC 6.01 or TC 5.51a.

This is somehow strange and I have no idea, why KEN and TConsole together behave like this ...

But for now it seems that I am the only one who has discovered this problem. In this case I would suggest that You should not waste Your time finding error for this misbehaving of KEN!, TC, TConsole combination. Better put Your effort into developping scripting capabilities for TConsole -if possible-, as requested by several users.

Best regards
Pete
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2VadiMGP

I have a suggestion:

The Registry-Filesystemplugin supports commands like "cd \\\Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\".
I want TConsole to support paths like "cd \\\TConsole\C:\Windows" including adding paths to history and so on.
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello VadiMGP,

today I was installing brand new driver for graphic card (Nvidia RIVA TNT2, 53.03, 09.Dec.2003) and I tried several resolutions: The smaller the screen resolution (respective TC resolution), the faster TConsole is running when KEN! is enabled at same time and the less CPU usage is used by TC.

KEN! consists of several processes. One of them is a console showing status of KEN! (e.g.: emails, network traffic, users, proxy cache, counters, ...). If I close this console, TConsole and TC will run at normal speed.

Maybe I will open a call at AVM support, I still think that KEN! and TC with TConsole over Networkneighbourhood interfer, because of some network routines running in the background...

Another thing with TConsole 2.0 I have:
Even that in TConsole.ini DirectMode=1, it always starts in CommandInputMode. Toggling from within TC is working, but if I cahnge this setting in options of TConsole they are stored but ignored. Also forward key to TC are ignored. They are always forwarded to TC.

TConsole with all its files resides in a subdirectory from TC called WFX.

Best regards
Pete
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 09-12-2003 12:24:57 +0000 Lefteous wrote:

L> I want TConsole to support paths like "cd \\\TConsole\C:\Windows"
L> including adding paths to history and so on.

If you want TCon to start with some predefined path in it, you can set it in command interpreter configuration like this:

[Shell]
ShellExe=cmd.exe /k cd C:\Windows

My configuration:

[Shell]
ShellExe=cmd.exe /t:0A /k %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WFX\TConsole\TConsole.bat

_________transmission_from_TConsole.bat__________

@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
ECHO Waiting for your command.
ECHO.
c:
:end
______________end_of_transmission________________

I understand this is not exactly what you asking for, but JFYI.[/face]
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

It would be interesting if we could make a buton and send a dos filename as parameter to Tconsole for execution.

Can File System plugins accept parameters ?
...BRB...
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

Word "parameters" seems to be а little confusing. ;) Do you mean "command" for the execution?
TConsole support FsExecute function so in theory it is possible to send commands in TConsole. Moreover, in "normal" mode TC send commands to TConsole using this function. Unfortunately AFIK only command from command line are passed to plugins. If you assign to the button command like "\\\TConsole\some_text" TC will freeze for 2-3 sec and you'll get message box "Search path not found".
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

Just a slightly off-topic note to Maxwish: Maybe update TConsole version on Club TC to version 2 - the one currently online doesn't work with TC6 ;)
Translate your favorite Mozilla Extension ~ Your Language Is Important Too.
#tcmd on irc.freenode.net - the place to idle
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

VadiMGP wrote:Unfortunately AFIK only command from command line are passed to plugins. If you assign to the button command like "\\\TConsole\some_text" TC will freeze for 2-3 sec and you'll get message box "Search path not found".
That's what I mean. Idea was to start a DOS program in TCosole by using a button on the TC bar (or from the commandline).
(the button bar uses 'parameter' term)
...BRB...
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

AlleyKat wrote:Just a slightly off-topic note to Maxwish: Maybe update TConsole version on Club TC to version 2 - the one currently online doesn't work with TC6 ;)
http://clubtotal.free.fr/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=23
AFAIK I'm hosting the latest version. Maybe your cache is old ?
...BRB...
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

Hmm maybe something like that, or I'm just unusually slow... or maybe I installed it from my old plugin archive, you're right.

/edit/ You certainly are, it was an old d/l from 13/11-03. My bad.
Translate your favorite Mozilla Extension ~ Your Language Is Important Too.
#tcmd on irc.freenode.net - the place to idle