Intertal ZIP packer: use 7z.exe?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intertal ZIP packer: use 7z.exe?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I think that 7zip would need its own configuration page, there are a ton of options the user can choose. That's not something I can add in a few days. So for the time being, please keep using one of the available plugins.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sir_SiLvA
Sure if you dont know how to browse the web :twisted: otherwise: http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/COMPRESS/
(file UC237B.EXE)
That file is not 32bit or 64bit - and not many people are using Windows XP or earlier nowadays.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
rus73

Post by *rus73 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-11, 08:49 UTC I think that 7zip would need its own configuration page, there are a ton of options the user can choose. That's not something I can add in a few days. So for the time being, please keep using one of the available plugins.
Support with both hands! All right and thanks.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AntonyD,
And now, in current times and with an actual mass character, it becomes more important to expand support for just a trio of archivers: rar/zip/7z. Everything else can be "on the shelf" - in the form of addons / plugins / submodules to remake.
I have to say I agree completely. In the Windows world, ZIP, 7-Zip and WinRAR are currently the most commonly used archivers, and for the foreseeable future it will stay so. The rest can be considered experimental (anything you find in [more or less] active development on encode.su), or legacy. Those can be handled with plugins, or relegated to their own legacy packers page. ZIP, 7-Zip and WinRAR deserve some more support, compared to UC2, ARJ, LHA or ACE.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-11, 00:57 UTCSure if you dont know how to browse the web :twisted: otherwise: http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/COMPRESS/
(file UC237B.EXE)
Well, you found that. But it changes nothing. That is just useless 16-bit piece of software no eny modern PCs. Many years. And will be further.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-11, 08:49 UTCI think that 7zip would need its own configuration page, there are a ton of options the user can choose. That's not something I can add in a few days. So for the time being, please keep using one of the available plugins.
May be for future it could get own page. Nice idea.
But "just now and here" it could be enough just a configurable line, the same way as ACE/ARJ/RAR has. Of course, if it is easier and needs less time.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
rus73

Post by *rus73 »

MaxX
I don't think it's necessary to rush into this, but your idea is also good.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There are two big problems with 7zip which also appear when using it as a ZIP packer, which I could not resolve:
1. You cannot store file names without their paths, e.g. when packing subdir\file, store it as just "file". This option in the pack dialog will do nothing.
2. You cannot add files to a subfolder of a zip/7zip archive with 7z.exe/7zg.exe.
That's probably why the 7zip plugin copied the files to temp before packing, so it could rearrange them correctly...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com