Show TC's beauty & power by default – Config Schemes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

bago wrote:
Innuendo wrote:On my PC (P3-1GHz w/ 384 MB RAM) XP's Luna is much faster than Win2K's classic look on the same PC.
Faster? How should this be possible?

It's faster, bago, because MS optimized a lot of the code they carried over from Win2K to XP. Of the NT-based OSes as I have moved from each one to another the performance has increased. XP is faster than Win2K which was faster than WinNT.

As MS goes along and throws in everything but the kitchen sink with each subsequent OS release it's nice to see that they are taking some time to optimize what came before.
jb

Post by *jb »

ghisler(Author) wrote:My fear is that if I change the default look, I will get a lot of negative support e-mails were people want the old look back - although they could change it themselves! You know, people are getting used to something which they have used for many years...
I doubt whether you would really receive many such complaints. But anyway my suggested feature would allow a simple solution: Just add a configuration scheme that preserves the current default configuration and name it for instance "Classic Total Commander Scheme".
bago

Post by *bago »

ghisler(Author) wrote:My fear is that if I change the default look, I will get a lot of negative support e-mails were people want the old look back - although they could change it themselves! You know, people are getting used to something which they have used for many years...
I added a poll for this :D
License #55385
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

What about a tiny program that allows a quick change of TC "skin" ?

All it has to do is :

- read some wincmd.ini sections & save it to a skin.ini file
- read selected skin.ini sections & save it to wincmd.ini file

- optional stop/restart TC to see the changes

Just an idea ...
#5767 Personal license
fabiochelly
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fabiochelly »

Christian could add a choice in the setup (or when TC is first launched) with 2 radio buttons and 2 pictures:
  • Old interface
  • New Interface
They propose a similar dialog in Dreamweaver XP.
Fabio Chelly.
Lorsqu'on s'occupe d'informatique il faut faire comme les canards...
Paraître calme en surface et pédaler comme un forcené par en dessous
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Quoting Reva:

Mr.Ghisler
You may want to check the below links, [1] seems to be pretty good.

[1]
http://www.link-rank.com/feature.htm
[2]
http://www.ksdev.com/skinengine/index.html
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Post by *jb »

bago wrote: I added a poll for this :D
You added a poll concerning only the look of TC, but my suggestion was more general. Maybe you and some others that contributed to this topic did not realize that the core of my idea was to introduce configuration schemes including the look (icons, fonts, colors etc.), but not limited to. Any two configuration schemes can also differ in respect of shortcuts keys, menus, button commands, file filters, packer settings, viewer settings and so on. Improving the look of TC is at most half of what I tried to address.
bago

Post by *bago »

2jb

I think that is not a good idea :!: to combine look configurations with other configurations because they should'n share too much.

Have you examples where the "look" is directly related / depends on specific "non look" configurations?
License #55385
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

sqa_wizard wrote:What about a tiny program that allows a quick change of TC "skin" ?

All it has to do is :

- read some wincmd.ini sections & save it to a skin.ini file
- read selected skin.ini sections & save it to wincmd.ini file

- optional stop/restart TC to see the changes

Just an idea ...
This is not just an idea, I've made such a program that changes the color :D.
Get it here: TC Color Presets v1.2 build 274 / Screenshot.

2004.04.14: Updated the links from being dead ones.
Last edited by Aezay on 2004-04-13, 22:14 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
jb

Post by *jb »

bago wrote:I think that is not a good idea to combine look configurations with other configurations because they should'n share too much.

Have you examples where the "look" is directly related / depends on specific "non look" configurations?
In my opinion functionality clearly comes first, but the usability of a functionality depends also on its presentation (look). So presentation and functionality are interrelated, there is no sharp line between them.

To a large degree TC can be considered just as another graphical shell for the Windows operating systems and hopefully soon also for Linux. It' s easy to imagine that when you start Windows that only TC would be visible. Only some replacement for the taskbar had to be added. The desktop is not necessary. Now where ends the presentation of the bare OS functionality and where starts the added functionality of TC?
I think it is not really interesting to sort it out.

Are modern GUI applications just nicer to look than ancient character-based console applications?
I think it's more than that. The graphical presentation (combined with the introduction of a mouse) enhanced the usability enormously.

Finally I'll give you a more concrete example related to TC. The main problem of TC's current default configuration is not only the look of the visible parts, but also what is visible at all. For instance the modest look of the existing buttons is less serious than the inexistence of a well-balanced collection of commonly useful buttons. Only in the second place it can be mentioned that these buttons should have standard icons or icons derived from standard icons whenever possible.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Aezay wrote:This is not just an idea, I've made such a program that changes the color :D.
Get it here: TC Color Presets v1.2 beta2 / Screenshot.
What steps do we have to follow for updating the <presets.ini> file Aezay with our settings? I mean how can we pass this information to you? Do we send the ini file back to you after we have saved our own settings?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
d-day

Post by *d-day »

pdavit wrote:
Aezay wrote:This is not just an idea, I've made such a program that changes the color :D.
Get it here: TC Color Presets v1.2 beta2 / Screenshot.
What steps do we have to follow for updating the <presets.ini> file Aezay with our settings? I mean how can we pass this information to you? Do we send the ini file back to you after we have saved our own settings?
2 ways:
1. copy [Colors] and [Searches] section to a new file;
2. Import current TC setting and merge it with the presets.ini and then copy your own section to a new file. :P
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

If u want ur preset in the next "official" release, you can 1) Send me ur version of the preset.ini file 2) Copy the [MyPreset] and [srch:MyPreset] sections to a new ini file and send it to me. Where "MyPreset" is what u called ur preset.

Since PM has been disabled on this board (why is that?) I guess I have to make a new thread where u can post them in, or what? Several of the presets including in the current version, I recieved through PM on the old board.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Since PM has been disabled on this board (why is that?)

Because Christian hasn't yet found a way how a user who doesn't want get PMs could disable them.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, exactly! And I'm one of those who doesn't want to get PMs. Why?
1. This is a public forum, and everyone can benefit from a reply which I write here - not so with pm's!
2. There is already e-mail: If you want to receive private messages, just turn on the display of your e-mail address! Your e-mail address will NOT be visible to other users (just a button), and they can e-mail you only via a WEB form.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com