Total Commander vs Servant Salamander = 6 : 1

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bago

Total Commander vs Servant Salamander = 6 : 1

Post by *bago »

I originally prepared this message as a followup to the "Config Schemes" topic but I think it was a little off-topic there.

I think that small changes on the GUI would improve a lot the "first impression" on TC.

I installed Servant Salamander to test it and I found that the GUI is very attractive. After the first impact, Servant Salamander has only few features and it is very far from TC! but I think there are "good ideas" in that tool.

I like very much the whole "style" of Salamander :arrow:
  • 1) Toolbar has a more "standard look" for a Windows user.
  • 2) I REALLY LIKE the path + drive combo + space left in a SINGLE line! (I want space for my file-listboxes)
  • 3) I like the cleaner "listbox headers"
  • 4) The "Function buttons" are cool because they are 12 and when you press ALT, CTRL, SHIFT or a combination of them the button bar automatically change to the commands done with function keys if pressed with the key you have already "down": It would help very much new users in learning new keys.
  • 5) Every subpath in the path (the blue box on top of the filelist) is clickable and move you to the parent dir: this give you an efficient method to go to each one of the previous dirs.
This is not a message to ask you to download salamander (I tested it... and TC is really better :mrgreen:) but I think that the "graphical user interface" is almost better.

PS: why 6-1 :?: I don't know :!: the subject is only to "grab views" :twisted:
License #55385
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

What shines isn’t always gold… or maybe not?! -> http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/pdavit/capture.png
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
bago

Post by *bago »

pdavit wrote:What shines isn’t always gold… or maybe not?! -> http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/pdavit/capture.png
I personally don't like the look of your TC: I prefer the salamander look. Simple and thin as I need. I like the "standard" windows toolkit interface.
License #55385
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

With the proper configuration, and the proper icons you can make TC have that look, or way even better. On the other hand, the people at Servant Salamander hav been promising the FTP plugin for more than 2 or 3 years and not to mention many other kinds of plugins.
I know because I also have Servant Salamander 2, but I find it very limited.
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

>bago
> I personally don't like the look of your TC: I prefer the salamander look. Simple and thin as I need. I like the "standard" windows toolkit interface.

And I don’t like blonds like 90% of the male population! :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
scannert

Post by *scannert »

Could you post a picture of the salamander look? I really don't want to install it, but you made me curious to take a look at it.

Personaly I don't have any problems with the look of windows commander my friends who I introduced it too (computer newby's) didn't complain either :)
cresk

Post by *cresk »

I looked at the screenshots provided at the Servant Salamander site and I agree the look is slick. Personally I like minimalism (read the minimalistic windows GUI approuch with only cool icons but not all the bloat)

Maybe a good idea for the TC Team to launch a TC GUI contest.

However, I am very new to TC. I downloaded and installed TC today! Allthough I remember I used the Windows Commander and the Norton Commander somewhere before, maybe back in some DOS days... But I always liked, and still like, my own configured explorer the most. I think I am a purist who never needed 3rd party software for task that could be done manually or with DOS batch- or Windows scripts etc.

I would really like to see more examples here of users who have configured and styled TC to their own needs. Is that a cool idea?
Cresk » Usable Design
www.cresk.nl | www.cresk.nl/cases
JP

Post by *JP »

2Pdavit,

Kalimera :D

I've got some questions to you:

1. How can I put this left blue line in menus?
2. How can I get the menus you're using (they are different from standard menus)
3. And what about the four window buttons?
4. The last icon (right) in your bar (key 2K) is for what program (just a curiosity; I've already see this icon before)?

Thanks.

JP
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

bah, TC rocks, the GUI is cool. Sort of oldschool, but I like that :) And since I don't use the buttonbar, anyway (only file-lists here), I don't care what kinds of icons and stuff the FileManager comes with.

ps: I wouldn't have paid for TC if it could be replaced by anything else!
license #76904
bago

Post by *bago »

TucknDar wrote:bah, TC rocks, the GUI is cool. Sort of oldschool, but I like that :) And since I don't use the buttonbar, anyway (only file-lists here), I don't care what kinds of icons and stuff the FileManager comes with.

ps: I wouldn't have paid for TC if it could be replaced by anything else!
Nor do I :mrgreen:

Anyway have you looked at Salamander screenshots :?:

I think the path box with the drive combo all in one "compact" is better than TC. I personally hide toolbar and functionsbuttons as soon as I install TC, but it is a big issue for new users.
License #55385
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Yeah, I looked at the ss' Nothing really tickled my pickle, so to speak. I'm not that concerned with GUIs, to be honest, although I do use an alternative shell, to get rid of the boring windows-startbutton-look ;)
license #76904
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Come to think of it, there is a point with this GUI-discussion. I mean, the screenshot on ghisler.com doesn't show the best of TC, I think. How about a "contest" or something, where those who wants to, can show off their TC, and we have a vote on which one represents TC the best... This setup could also be some sort of default for TC... Christian Ghisler should probably state his opinion on this, though.

(sorry if this suggestion has been brought up before)
license #76904
cresk

Post by *cresk »

the windows start button could be changed with nothing more than a resource editor like ResEdit for example. You really didn't need to install a 3rd party shell for that reason ;P
Cresk » Usable Design
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

cresk wrote:the windows start button could be changed with nothing more than a resource editor like ResEdit for example. You really didn't need to install a 3rd party shell for that reason ;P
hehe, I'm not just talking about the start-button, I'm talking about the whole desktop.

go see litestep.net, Blackbox 4 WindowsChoose Your Shell.

There's loads of really good ones :D
license #76904
cresk

Post by *cresk »

Whahaha! Yup I know them all! Personally I don't use 3rd party shells, but know about Litestep, GeoShell, Winstep, etc.

But maybe there's someone out there who could convince me about best 3rd party windows replacement, or just their experience and motivations about these replacements.

Personally I am very tight when it comes to system resources and processes running.
Cresk » Usable Design