Total Commander vs Servant Salamander = 6 : 1

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

cresk wrote:But maybe there's someone out there who could convince me about best 3rd party windows replacement, or just their experience and motivations about these replacements.

Personally I am very tight when it comes to system resources and processes running.
I assume you mean "shell replacement." My advice would be to just try a few of them. Personally I like PureLS, LiteStep and bb4win. They're all much easier on resources than explorer. This is a bit OT, though. I suggest you (or anyone else interested) check out Choose Your Shell (URL above) to see reviews of several shells.
license #76904
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

There has been a discussion about the looks of TC on eforum.de before, but people who requested a better look were soon silenced by people who rather request enhanced functionality. And as Christian doesn't have all the time in the world (and isn't a designer, either), I think functionality is the way to go. Anyways, anyone can help out Christian by creating slick new icons, be it for the standard button bar, an ICL or the program logo itself.

Panos,
Could you please post a link to a non-interlaced version? IE 6.0 doesn't seem to be able to open it (starts loading, then only displays that red X).

You also might want to take a look at http://pmt.sourceforge.net/pngcrush/ . ;)

TucknDar,
Come to think of it, there is a point with this GUI-discussion. I mean, the screenshot on ghisler.com doesn't show the best of TC, I think. How about a "contest" or something, where those who wants to, can show off their TC, and we have a vote on which one represents TC the best... This setup could also be some sort of default for TC... Christian Ghisler should probably state his opinion on this, though.

(sorry if this suggestion has been brought up before)

:) Exactly this has been brought up on eforum.de some time ago in a thread where everyone posted a screenshot of his TC (was this the inspiration for Aezay?). My screenshot can be seen at http://thehacker.host.sk/myfiles/wc/ as wcscreenshot.png.

TIA
Roman
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Hacker wrote:There has been a discussion about the looks of TC on eforum.de before, but people who requested a better look were soon silenced by people who rather request enhanced functionality. And as Christian doesn't have all the time in the world (and isn't a designer, either), I think functionality is the way to go.

:) Exactly this has been brought up on eforum.de some time ago in a thread where everyone posted a screenshot of his TC (was this the inspiration for Aezay?).
K, thanks for pointing this out to me. It seems that although it was brought up, nothing happened, so a new "request" isn't all that bad ;)

And I certainly agree that Mr Ghisler should just spend time on the functionality of TC, after all that is why we use this tool!
license #76904
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

bago,
4) The "Function buttons" are cool because they are 12 and when you press ALT, CTRL, SHIFT or a combination of them the button bar automatically change to the commands done with function keys if pressed with the key you have already "down": It would help very much new users in learning new keys.

Christian said something in that fashion that it would be difficult for translators and him to create and translate all these new strings (something in that direction).

HTH
Roman
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2JP

>1. How can I put this left blue line in menus?

You can’t do that step by its own! You will have to install WindowBlinds on your machine and apply the specific skin. Follow the first step and I’ll let you know which skin it is!

>2. How can I get the menus you're using (they are different from standard menus)

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=62

>3. And what about the four window buttons?

What about them!

>4. The last icon (right) in your bar (key 2K) is for what program (just a curiosity; I've already see this icon before)?

Hmmm, tricky question! I can’t really say it publicly!

2Hacker

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/pdavit/capture.jpg

Thanks also for the link!

2All

Sorry for the cross posting here but please check this out guys: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=119
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
cresk

Post by *cresk »

I am willing - and happy to design some nice minimalistic customizations regarding TC's GUI like a main icon a product logotype, GUI icons and stuff like that. I only hope I am able to make some room in my busy life to actual begin with this project.

But keep in touch with www.cresk.nl/cases to see some stuff in the near future.
Cresk » Usable Design
www.cresk.nl | www.cresk.nl/cases
bago

Post by *bago »

cresk wrote:I am willing - and happy to design some nice minimalistic customizations regarding TC's GUI like a main icon a product logotype, GUI icons and stuff like that. I only hope I am able to make some room in my busy life to actual begin with this project.

But keep in touch with www.cresk.nl/cases to see some stuff in the near future.
I think your creations are really cool.

Your "design art" would help a lot the TC gui :mrgreen:
License #55385
cresk

Post by *cresk »

Thanks!

However I am fully aware that art isn't the kind of thing TC needs. It just may need some usable GUI design.
Cresk » Usable Design
www.cresk.nl | www.cresk.nl/cases
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

pdavit wrote:>4. The last icon (right) in your bar (key 2K) is for what program (just a curiosity; I've already see this icon before)?

Hmmm, tricky question! I can’t really say it publicly!
I know what that program is :wink:
license #76904
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

>cresk
> But keep in touch with www.cresk.nl/cases to see some stuff in the near future.

Your work is exceptional cresk… please, have a word with Christian! ;)

I think we can get something really good here. As Christian admitted he is not the artistic kind of fellow and so far we couldn’t find someone that is and at the same time uses TC! :D

As Christian said correctly before he didn’t make the step of using some cool icons that are available around for copyright reasons. So, if you are willing to provide your work for Christian and as a result the rest of us that will be cool! A tiny suggestion if I may… themed icons so that they can be appealing to everyone! Oh, and there is no rush. Take your time. Good things come slow! :)

Not to mention that you will see your name in the credits of TC!!! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The best solution would probably be some kind of skin plugin support. Does anyone know if such an extension already exists for Delphi? Otherwise I would have to do it myself. Currently I'm using mostly standard Windows interface elements, because they ensure the best compatibility with display adapters etc...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
André Martin

Post by *André Martin »

AFAIK there is no skin plugin support for Delphi...
Browse the web with the HTTP SmartBrowserPlugin
Check your mails with the POP3/SMTP EmailPlugin!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The best solution would probably be some kind of skin plugin support. Does anyone know if such an extension already exists for Delphi? Otherwise I would have to do it myself. Currently I'm using mostly standard Windows interface elements, because they ensure the best compatibility with display adapters etc...
A very simple yet very important step is to redesign the Win3.x lookalike icons. And Cresk is willing to help! ;)

It would be also cool to see the icons on the menus as well but if I can remember correctly from the old forum Hacker remarked that this will need a new compiler that will increase the file size of TC as well. And we all know how much devoted you are Christian with the fit-into-a-single-disk concept! ;)
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

bah, keep those old-school icons ;)
license #76904
bago

Post by *bago »

TucknDar wrote:bah, keep those old-school icons ;)
Sorry for this cross-post, but there are 3 topics about similar subjects. I added a poll in the poll forum.
License #55385