PassStore 0.61 - Updated to 64-bit (28/11/11)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djorge

Post by *djorge »

Bug?
Corrected
bug2
Corrected

Totalcmd.net updated.

2Horst.Epp
Why do I need password management in my file manager ?
This is a very old question. I do. of course i could use keepass. But i don't. Why? Maybe because i am always trying to use TC in all my tasks because i am usually much faster when using TC than any other software. I prefer the keyboard.

There is no doubt that Kee Pass is far powerfull PassStore is not trying to steal its place.

What is the benefit of using such a plugin compared to using KeePass ?
I am faster with TC.
KeePass has most features to manage passwords, including an hotkey to automatically fill out web forms and network logins.
That's not faire. PassStore is still a baby. We never know what the future will bring.
Personal License #117854
ND

Post by *ND »

Let's say I take the .ini file and change the Key=xx xx xx into Key=0. Then when I open PassStore it asks me for a new main password, and afterwards I can see all my other passwords no problem. However, this doesn't seem so secure to me: what if it was Not me doing this, but my evil twin?...

Would it be possible to include the main password into the encryption of the rest? This would mean that unless the main password is known, the other info becomes useless. Perhaps this could also be made reversible, i.e. if I change back to old/known password, the info becomes correct again.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
djorge

Post by *djorge »

Let's say I take the .ini file and change the Key=xx xx xx into Key=0. Then when I open PassStore it asks me for a new main password, ....
But you won't be able to see your passwords. I didn't get it. TC crashes. I have to fix that....

The Master Password is used to create the 128 bit key which is used to decrypt the information. If you change the master Passwrod you won't be able to decrypt anymore.
Personal License #117854
ND

Post by *ND »

But you won't be able to see your passwords.
Change the passStore.ini file from outside PassStore (write key=0 in the passStore.ini), then open PassStore, and then see the other passwords. Anyone with admin rights might do that (i.e. change the .ini file), which is why I said it was not secure.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

When I want to open an entry made with the previos version, now running 0.26b1, it crashes with the error:

Code: Select all

Exception in fsplugin.FsExecuteFile!
Then I can browse but opening for example the Teste entry, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Exception EExternalExecption in module TOTALCMD.EXE at 7C542119. Exteral Exception C01500F.
Anything you want me to try or look up for you?
Registered user #92105
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2djorge
Could you also update file info version, please (it shows 1.0.0.1 now)?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
djorge

Post by *djorge »

2ND
You are right. That's defenitly a bug. I have to somehow include the Master Password in the xml. That's not easy to solve. Maybe in the an attribute of <pswd> tag.

2rolandd
Then I can browse but opening for example the Teste entry, I get the following error:
Which entry is that? Does it have more that 16 characters?
I need to do a better handling of encryption/decryption errors.

This error is raised whenever the decryption fails because the previous version was not encrypting text with more that 16 characters. If this teste entry has a password with more that 16 characters ecrypted with the previous version you will have to add it again. Sorry.

It seems that this happens with all entries. I will check it.

2djk
Yes. I am always forgetting....

Regarding translations. Do i have to convert all the code to unicode if i want to make it translatable?
Personal License #117854
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Hi,

The Teste entry is a standard entry that is there after you do a clean installation. It is right beneath the "New Entry". As I can't open it because it crashes, I don't know if it has 16 characters or not.
Registered user #92105
pajo

Post by *pajo »

2author

when can we expect new version of this greate plugin, and what are the plans for the future?
djorge

Post by *djorge »

Hello,
I didn't had the time to correct the bugs that are happening, but i think this weekend and the next week i will have some time to spend with the plugin.

My plans for the future are:
-Unicode version. This is needed to support multiple languages.
-Encrypt username and notes fields.
-Support copy/paste from the clipboard
-Prevent the user see entries whenever the user fails to enter the password as reported by ND.
-Support Alt-enter to open the URL from the entry
-Add some sort of time-out to force the user to re-enter the password after a specific period of time.

The most important is to correct the bugs that are crashing TC as soon as possible.

I might need to modify how the encryption is done and in that case the old passwords won't work in newer versions.

Sugestions for new features are welcome of course.
Personal License #117854
pajo

Post by *pajo »

I'm lookin forward for new version.

one sugestion for option:Add some sort of time-out to force the user to re-enter the password after a specific period of time- it would be nice that this option is configurable by user
pajo

Post by *pajo »

2Author

It would be nice if you could make it to work from USB stick
djorge

Post by *djorge »

What do i need to do to make it work from a USB stick?
Personal License #117854
pajo

Post by *pajo »

2djorge

I'm not shure, I don't have any programming knowladge.
Is there a way to install VC8 dll runtimes on USB stick (or copying it from "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\" directory in plugin directory on USB stick) so plugin can work?
djorge

Post by *djorge »

I'm not sure. Maybe the other guys here with experience in this subject can help.

I will try from my usb pen. I need to find a clean computer without the VC8 installed...
Personal License #117854