[Req] Set filtering settings per tab

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

If I filter a view for for example *.dll, it's filtering all the tabs of the pane, which is really a weird design IMO. Could we have that setting per tab instead?
I use tortoiseCVS for checkins, and I constantly have to switch from my CVS Modified filter (to see modified files) back to *.* when I switch tab.

On the same matter, it would be cool to have the branch view "sticking" when switching tabs. I don't see the point of going back to the folder view when coming back to that view.
gbo

Post by *gbo »

Support ++
It will be very convenient.
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

support +
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Filter per tabs would be definitely a step forward but I'm not sure if it would really help.
Here is a scenario. I have a long list of files and filter for all archives. Now I want to open the archive. I appears to be empty but it's just the filter which is still set. In this case an automatic reseting the filter on entering the archive would have been the solution.
In other scenarios where filtering in subdirs is required the filter reset would be annoying.

This needs a well thought out solution...
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

Well, in the archive case it's a simple matter of sending the archive to open in the other pane;

I would expect the filter to stay in place in the tab no matter what is opened there; after all, at the moment the filter stays *in all tabs* so you would have the same problem anyway.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2zeflash
Well, in the archive case it's a simple matter of sending the archive to open in the other pane;
Well I don't like to work this way.
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

I'm not saying you should, I'm saying it's one way to go around the problem you were exposing.

We agree that in the current version, your problem doesn't have a solution, right? Filter a pane, go in an archive, you won't potentially see anything.

I would just like to have this filtering pane-specific, as it makes much more sense than having it applied on all tabs. That alone would be a *great* addition without needing more logic or anything else.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2zeflash
What would happen to the tab on the opposite side where the archive is opened? There could be a filter set already...

Don't get me wrong. I fully support making filters tab-specific as I already wrote in the first post.

p.s.: Finally there is some life back in this forum :)
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

When we are talking about filters, we could use in fact the search function!
What I mean is:
The possibility to open a special Tab from inside the search window.
These "Search-Tabs" used to be shown somehow different, maybe colored, bold fonts or on the lower side.
Each of this Tabs should have a unique name, reflecting an entry in a "SearchTab.ini" or so.
Name of tab and name of filter should be saved as connected unit (automatically)
All Searchtabs will be saved at shutdown (messagewindow, optional)
All existing Searchtabs will be updated after restart.
There should be some kind of interactivity between Seachtabs and searchfunction,
so whenever the filter changes, we will receive a message: Save settings to "Whatever.Filter"?
When using Filtertabs in both panels, (Search)-filter should be added.

These feature would come close to two requests: Indexing and virtual folders.

Just thoughts, don't slap me too hard for this! :)
Stance
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

I strongly support the original proposal. (I also requested it over 3 years ago.)

The inability to use different filters in different tabs is probably my biggest ongoing inconvenience using TC. The ability to have different filters on each side mitigates the inconvenience only slightly.

I may be working on 3 or more different projects simultaneously, and it's very difficult not to be able to quickly click on a tab showing the files for the current stage of a given project.

Alternatively, if a virtual folder plugin was ever developed (my other longtime big wish for TC!), I could just make a virtual folder containing the files for each project! (Edit: I now see that ghisler posted v2 of TempPanel available several months ago... I've just installed it and will be using it eagerly... but am still hoping for per-tab filters.)
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

ghisler, have you considered this request? Maybe it doesn't bother you because you've implemented many macros to switch filters instantly? Without some such macros, this is a constant headache. Thanks for considering it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I experimented with it when I added the tabs, but found it so annoying that I removed it, sorry. Maybe as an option.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Thanks, an option would be great. Perhaps with a sub-option for child tabs to inherit the filter of their parent? Interesting that you found this annoying. Clearly mileage varies. Personally I can't think of a time when I wanted to apply a particular filter to more than one tab simultaneously ... since I typically have 3-5 tabs open per side, that's a lot of annoyance with irrelevant filtering.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think it's worth trying if its usable.
One thing should be considered. The tab header give absolutely no clue about the filter state. It's currently displayed in the path bar. If filters are tab-specific you need to click first before you see if the view is filtered...
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Lefteous wrote:I think it's worth trying if its usable.
If filters are tab-specific you need to click first before you see if the view is filtered...
Not a problem at all. If I have a locked tab with a semi-permanent filter, I may choose to rename the tab to remind me.