About 3 seconds delay after (some) external programs quit.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Googlhupf

About 3 seconds delay after (some) external programs quit.

Post by *Googlhupf »

Greetings!

I have noticed something quite annoying... After I leave an external program, which I have called by pressing <Enter> on a file (i.e. .jpg with Irfanview), TC won't take any input for about 3 seconds.

If I just <Alt-TAB> back to TC after I pressed <Enter> on a file it works just fine. I have witnessed this on 2 different programs so far, namely Irfanview and PSPad. Other applications/programs I've tested don't seem to impress TC much. :D Namely WinAMP v2.95, Adobe Reader v7 and ZoomPlayer v4.5.

However, it does not happen if I call Irfanview using the Lister.

Now... I don't know if this is known already (couldn't find anything with a matching topic in here) or if it's just my machine, but I'd really like to see this problem gone. 8)

This behaviour occurred first after I upgraded to v7.0 beta and it is reproducible. v6.55a worked flawlessly.

Greetings from Germany

Sven
Proud user of Windows Commander since 1997 *** License #16187
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Googlhupf
Welcome!

Hm, It's just a blind guess, but If you use an on-access virus scanner, you could try to disable it and see if the delay remains.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I just tried with Irfanview. I have immediately access to TC after closing Irfanview.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

No delay

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• Same here, I tested with XnView, no delay.

• And I HAVE a virus scanner working in BG. (Avira Classic Personal)

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Googlhupf

Post by *Googlhupf »

Hello again!

After those NACKs I got from you nice folks (I mean it!) I did some testing of my own. First off, I turned off NOD32 with no result. Then I tried a clean TC without Plugins or .INI-files. Same thing. Then I created a new user and tried it: No difference. Then I got back to my own account and customized TC and killed all non-essential tasks.

Bingo!

After some more killing and restarting I found the culprit: ctfmon.exe This thing is suppose to be part of MS-Office, which is the funny part. I only use OpenOffice. :shock:

MS-Office got me thinking though. Didn't I install some Viewers some time ago? ACK! I had viewers for PPS and DOCs installed... You could think, after uninstalling those two programs, all would be back to normal. Ha, Ha, Ha! It had become part of Windows - a system-file! I hate Microsoft!!!

After I manually unregged two DLLs it was finally gone. Unfortunately I did this before I got the idea of retesting TC 6.55. Surely one of you has MS-Office on your machine and can verify that only TC 7.0 is affected? :lol:

According to this, ctfmon.exe can cause all sort of troubles. Good riddance! :?

Greetings

Sven

P.S.: Did I mention I hate Microsoft? :evil:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Googlhupf
Good detective work :!:
Surely one of you has MS-Office
Sorry can't help you there.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This thing is suppose to be part of MS-Office, which is the funny part.
ctfmon.exe is part of XP installation, you don't need to have Office installed for that. Maybe this has been the cause of why ctfmon has been activated on your box:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313176/DE/

I can safely tell you that I have all recent MS viewers installed and never had any problems with ctfmon. I also can't remember that I have removed ctfmon task from Startup lately.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Googlhupf

Post by *Googlhupf »

icfu wrote:ctfmon.exe is part of XP installation, you don't need to have Office installed for that.
Okay, I have to admit that I didn't investigate THAT far... :-)
icfu wrote:I can safely tell you that I have all recent MS viewers installed and never had any problems with ctfmon. I also can't remember that I have removed ctfmon task from Startup lately.
Well, whatever caused it to appear, as part of Windows it shouldn't cause problems like that.

@petermad: Thanks! :-)

I rest my case. I have found the cause for my problems and eliminated it. It is hereby recorded for future occurrences. :) May the programmer(s) who caused it, burn in hell (slowly)! :twisted:

Greetings again

Sven
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ctfmon.exe is part of XP installation
I didn't bother to look in the first place because 2Googlhupf wrote that it was an MS Office relatet thing.

But I can say that I have ctfmon.exe runing on my system, which has NEVER seen a byte of MS Office - and as I wrote earlier: I don't have any 3 seconds delay.
License #524 (1994)
Dominus

Post by *Dominus »

good find! I had noticed the same delay and am glad you found the culprit. Seems one program has put the ctfmon into the autostart again :(
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange that it affects only TC 7 and not TC 6.55. Do you use any of the TC 7 functions?
- separate tree
- watch directory changes
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Googlhupf

Post by *Googlhupf »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Strange that it affects only TC 7 and not TC 6.55. Do you use any of the TC 7 functions?
- separate tree
- watch directory changes
Separate tree, no. Watch directory update, yes. But I was using that already with TC 6.55...

To help the process, I've uploaded my wincmd.ini here. I have removed bloating and compromising stuff. :wink: (Namely all saved data and unused resolutions)

Hope it helps.

Greetings

Sven
Googlhupf

Post by *Googlhupf »

Offtopic:

Another fine example of bad web-design. I have to use IE to see the page completely. With FF2 the lower part is missing. Thank you, Microsoft!

Greetings

Sven
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

In Opera the lower part is missing too! Obviously MS is not interested in feedback from other browser users... Impressive, have never noticed that. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale