Rhino3d lister plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

this is special format, it contains not the solid objects, but surfaces, because Rhino3d is modelling tool, and not a SolidWorks or CAD. This tool was made to simplify processes of modelling human-made objects. then you import it into renderers or smth. else. Though Rhino store material properties in its files, but people don't use it often, and I don't think smb. would search "all 3dm files whith metal layer within". But anyways, tbeu, you can add such features, if you want. I just trying to explain this is not the most useful staff
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2tbeu

Rhino is primarily a NURBs modeler but necessarily supports several entity types. A Rhino file can contain a lot of stuff... units, extents, points, lines, types, surfaces, polysurfaces, solids, meshes, notes, layers. Texture references are stored in the model and can be simple (Rhino) or complex (Flamingo, others). The latest version (4, to be released this spring) supports parameterization, too.

Your plugin apparently displays just the low-res preview "Snapshot" image of the model that appears in the Rhino file open/save dialogs. Your effort is greatly appreciated but the result isn't very useful.

Rhino offers the option to keep the meshes it creates for rendering. Perhaps these meshes could be extracted and used for visualization by a plugin.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

JohnFredC - why not useful - you can search for model you need in thumbnails mode, and it's better than to open each file in rhino to find specific.

but your last idea is good. now it's only a snapshot, and if I save my model, placing it in such position, that it's hard to determine what is it (for example flat floppy, left view) than snapshot is useless for you. And possibility to spin model, like in 3dMAx viewer, could be much more better.
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2tbue

I tried the Rhino thumbs add-in to Explorer that you linked to in a previous email. It crashes Explorer every single time I enter a folder with 3dm files, so I had to uninstall it.

TC didn't crash, but only folder thumbs were displayed, not the file thumbs.

Since most of my 3dms are from V1 and V2 of Rhino, this could be the problem with that tool.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric