Problem with TC and Samba mapped folders

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jpcv

Problem with TC and Samba mapped folders

Post by *jpcv »

I've the following problem, whe I try to delete a folder from the mapped samba unit who was created by another user TC gives me an error of can't delete folder, on the other hand I go to My PC and go to the folder and I can delete the folder.

Regards

Juan
bago

Post by *bago »

This is a "known issue" of the current release.
Samba drives reports themselves as NTFS but doesn't correctly support al of the NTFS features (NTFS stream AFAIK).

You can try to close TC and reopen it and delete the folder without opening it.
License #55385
jpcv

Post by *jpcv »

09.11.02 Fixed: Copying files to SAMBA dirs made it impossible to delete them (Reason: Samba reports NTFS file system, but NTFS stream functions fail!)

Thx
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If anyone still has this problem, please let me know! There is an additional workaround now to turn off copying of additional streams completely, just in case...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
corny

Post by *corny »

Hi,

Recently I discovered that the Samba delete problem also occurs during deleting files on a CD-R when packet writing is enabled (i.e. with RSJ or InCD).

When I select all dirs in the root directory of the CD and press delete, the content of the dirs and subdirs isn't deleted! I have to open every single dir and delete the files then, deleting in dirs just doesn't seem to work.

Any idea why this happens?
Regards,
Cornelis
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I recommend that you don't use TC with InCD - this driver is extremely buggy. Try overwriting some files on a CD-RW, the results will probably not be identical to the originals on your harddisk. :(
corny

Post by *corny »

In fact the one I do use is RSJ, and I've never had any problems with it except the described delete problem. Is it possible that the RSJ CD file structure is so exceptional that this problem occurs? btw, Every version of Total Commander has had the problem.
Regards,
Cornelis
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that these device drivers are only tested with Explorer - anything can happen when they are used with other programs like TC. Writing a file system driver is extremely complex, only a few people worldwide are able to do it correctly.