Which header control do you like more?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Which header control do you like more?

On the left panel: new suggested header control
44%
One the right panel: current old-style header control
56%

Total votes: 70

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

CoolWater wrote:Win2k should/could use the currently used header control (the self-made one).
Well, as long as Christian is willing to do that, i'd vote for the one you're proposing. Unless he can create a self-made one that fits nice with Win2K (color-wise).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

any comment from ghisler? are you willing to implement this?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not very high priority for me. Using the theme API would be possible, but would require considerably more screen space.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's not very high priority for me. Using the theme API would be possible, but would require considerably more screen space.
It is possible to resize the header control using the HDLAYOUT structure/HDM_LAYOUT message when you are going to use the common controls header control..

Regards,
CoolWater
VSB

Post by *VSB »

Right - I prefer to see on what and in which order is sorted
versalzen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *versalzen »

i don't vote, because i miss the option "i don't care about the look, i want it only fast displayed, so i ever choose the design which will be displayed as fast as possible on all windows machines."

(also i had to look quite a minute on the screenshot to see any difference 8-) )
Was nützt der Löffel für die Weisheit, wenn man zu weit vom Suppentopf entfernt sitzt?

Mario
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

versalzen wrote:i don't vote, because i miss the option "i don't care about the look, i want it only fast displayed, so i ever choose the design which will be displayed as fast as possible on all windows machines."

(also i had to look quite a minute on the screenshot to see any difference 8-) )
Ok, but others might think different... Moreover, i think a fresh UI could address people more who see a screenshot. TC still looks partially like an old Win95 software...

@ghisler
Btw. The Tab control looks ugly too since the frame is partially overlapped by other labels/buttons... So why not draw the tab control ONLY on top of the path control, i.e. set the height of the entire tab control to the height of the tabs. so you do not need to draw it around/behind the list control which really looks ugly, imho.

Regards,
CoolWater
versalzen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *versalzen »

CoolWater wrote:TC still looks partially like an old Win95 software...
i agree.
don't forget the (backward)compatibility issue of tc...
form follows function :-)
Was nützt der Löffel für die Weisheit, wenn man zu weit vom Suppentopf entfernt sitzt?

Mario
jaelanicu

Post by *jaelanicu »

Absolutely the old style that doesn't use too much space, memory and resources. The new style will only lead to bloatness.
Erik-DJ

Post by *Erik-DJ »

In another forum I posted a Delphi-example of how to create/program the modern header look:

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=21175

If you create it like this, the ("old") classic (Win2000) look would still be there on "old" Windows versions, and if XP/Vista/7 themes are turned off. And users with themes turned on would have the modern look.

And there's no issue with "the modern header bar is higher". The new one would be drawn on the canvas of the old/current one, so it is as high as the old/current one.

And for the "current directory bar" you could use twMaxCaptionActive. It would look like the current one, but then more modern (gradient). And again, if themes are turned off, or TC is used on an old Windows version, the classic directory bar would be shown.
Erik-DJ

Post by *Erik-DJ »

I did some Paint-Shop-Pro-ing and created an example of how TC could look with the use of standard Windows themes possibilities (Delphi ThemeServices). The left panel has the current look, the right one has the themed look:

http://home.kpn.nl/jong7810/z_netlinkedfiles/TC_example1.jpg

Changed:
- Current directory bar
- File panel headers
- Selected file under cursor
- ToolBar/ButtonBar