[Wish] Display physical HDD with it's logical drives

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

syntech

[Wish] Display physical HDD with it's logical drives

Post by *syntech »

It would be nice to have the possibility to see the layout of the pysical harddisk with all it's logical drives.

For example, I have 3 HDDs with lots of partitions on them, and all partitions are mixed up. For instance, I have on HDD #1 drive h, k, d, i.

Since I don't remember where all my drives are, it would be great if TC could show the HDD layout somehow. For now I have to fire up PartitionMagic or the windows hdd app to see this information. But since I have TC open very often, I could save the loading time of those apps. :)

If someone does not know what I mean (I would really like to write all this in german, but for a strange reason, there is no german suggestion forum it seems), I could attach a PartitionMagic screenshot.
Clo

A plug-in ?

Post by *Clo »

2syntech

:) Hello !

• You can get that from Windows system for each drive in TC :
- Right-click on a drive-button >> Properties >> Five pages (with a tab header).
- The same for all drives at once could be done as a tool¦plug-in, I suppose…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I myself just labeled my partitions so that can see what HD they're on. I have a maxtor and a seagate disk and just named the logical drives max_1, max2,... and sea_1, sea_2,...

This way I can easily see on which HD the current partition is located in TCs Drive info bar.
Surely this is a simple workaround, but it works well for me.

About the german suggestion forum:
The different sub-forums exist only in english. All other languages have only one single forum.So if you like to post a suggestion in german, just post it in the german forum.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2syntech

You could make a button in the buttonbar with the command: diskmgmt.msc (Windows XP - I dont know about Vista)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Active is dangerous

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• Indeed that shows all drives, but it's an “active” window from which one can change the drives¦partitions,
so some serious mistake is possible using it…
- I guess that syntech wishes rather an inactive thingy just able to display all features of all drives as a reminder…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
syntech

Re: Active is dangerous

Post by *syntech »

Clo wrote:• Indeed that shows all drives, but it's an “active” window from which one can change the drives¦partitions,
so some serious mistake is possible using it…
You're right. And it's more than I'm asking for. But at least it's quicker than to call it from the programs menu.
Clo wrote:- I guess that syntech wishes rather an inactive thingy just able to display all features of all drives as a reminder…
Exactly. :D

I was thinking about something that could be shown in one of the folder/file panels (like Ctrl-Q does).