cm_CopyNamesToClip & Co flicker/refreshing issues

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

cm_CopyNamesToClip & Co flicker/refreshing issues

Post by *roentgen »

cm_CopyNamesToClip and all related commands seem to produce very much flickering, especially observed in directories with many files and when any of these commands is triggered with a keyboard shortcut.

Can't this be avoided?
TC for Linux please!
Clo

OK with buttons…

Post by *Clo »

2roentgen

:) Hello !

• What do you mean exactly with “many files” ?

- I tested here with 39 and 360 selected files from a button (as ususal), I didn't notice any big flickering,
I have only one tiny blinking, but very short, let's say for ~0.1 second …

- I have set a shortcut, and in that case the blinking is a bit longer, 0.2 second about.
- Win XP-Pro SP1 - TC7 RC4x - Free memory amount always > 200 MiB¦512

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2Clo
0.2 second about
Well, for me that's about 0.2 seconds too much :wink:, as long as I don't see the reason behind it.
Free memory amount always > 200 MiB¦512
Here, free amount sometimes ~750 M|1.5 G :wink:
TC for Linux please!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It looks as if TC would internally SELECT the file for a fraction of a second after the command is issued, as the status bar flickers as well. Perfectly visible when holding down the hotkey and changing the selection colour.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm invalidating the file list after a successful copy to clipboard, to signal to the user that something happened! This is intentional.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I also thought it is just a visual cue. :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the TC7 beta discussion forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I'm invalidating the file list after a successful copy to clipboard, to signal to the user that something happened! This is intentional.
Maybe you should use signals that don't look like bugs then, flickering isn't really a good choice.

When using Ctrl+C on a SINGLE file you are using a more intelligent approach too: The file which has the cursor is temporarily marked and the hourglass is shown. When using Ctrl+C on SEVERAL files, only the hourglass is shown.

So, what about inverting the colour of the marked files instead and/or showing an hourglass?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hm, I find it quite OK as it is now.

Roman
Clo

Sound ?

Post by *Clo »

2icfu

:) Hello Jeff !
So, what about inverting the colour of the marked files instead and/or showing an hourglass?
• I would be happy with a short «ding dong !» sound too to indicate that the operation is successful…
- Better for shortsighted and blind users.
- Although the blink is not too disturbing for me, I agree that it looks like a bug… ;)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Sound ?

Post by *m^2 »

Clo wrote:2icfu

:) Hello Jeff !
• I would be happy with a short «ding dong !» sound too to indicate that the operation is successful…
- Better for shortsighted and blind users.
- Although the blink is not too disturbing for me, I agree that it looks like a bug… ;)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
Agree at all.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I don't need and expect any ding-dongs or hourglass effects. Blistering fast and flicker free copying is just fine.

The same I'd expect from the normal Ctrl+C operation but I guess this is more an explorer issue.
TC for Linux please!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

icfu wrote:When using Ctrl+C on a SINGLE file you are using a more intelligent approach too: The file which has the cursor is temporarily marked and the hourglass is shown. When using Ctrl+C on SEVERAL files, only the hourglass is shown.
In most programs when something happens you see a change in the mouse cursor so indeed it might be better if TC did just that for 0.2" instead of "flicker".
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

a change in the mouse cursor so indeed it might be better if TC did just that
Hm, the cursor might be who knows where (other monitor?) and that might not get noticed.

Roman
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Hacker wrote:Hm, the cursor might be who knows where (other monitor?) and that might not get noticed.
Well, in that case...
icfu wrote:When using Ctrl+C on a SINGLE file you are using a more intelligent approach too: The file which has the cursor is temporarily marked and the hourglass is shown. When using Ctrl+C on SEVERAL files, only the hourglass is shown.
...this and everything similar should be changed to "flicker" for the shake of uniformity, shouldn't it? :shock: :)

In this case i don't find find flickering that annoying, i just don't understand why the wheel must be reinvented.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.