Lack of information about ZIP repacking

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Lack of information about ZIP repacking

Post by *Slavic »

Hello!

It's a minor suggestion, but could be helpful. When we operate with a ZIP archive (I think the same problem is with any archive, but ZIP is mostly used), say, attempt to rename some file/directory inside archive or add/delete a file, in the most cases the ZIP file is repacked first before the requested operation begins. When the ZIP size is large, e.g. ~500 Mb or more, such repacking requires the sufficient time. However, all the time TC shows the progress bar without any comments.

Image: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/7/54504/repacking.png

I suppose that some information about the processed file and current operation could help users to understand better what's going on.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Hello Slavic !
van Dusen published a AutoIT-Script and Hacker created a similar AHK-Script for this purpose in this german thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=10060

Have a look at the funny english Babelfish translation:
Gimmick: Remainder time announcement for modale procedures

Kind regards
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Well, Stance, thanks for the interesting thread and discussion!

It would be nice to implement such information in TC internally, without requiring users to install additional script and scripting system.
But my request is more modest: I would like to see the description of current operation and file name, without current and estimated times. Otherwise the UI becomes incomplete and user can feel that something is missed in this dialog window.

Btw, I worked out some tests with large files and have found that TC doesn't check the maximum file size on drives with FAT (I will post a separate thread about this).

WBR,
Slavic