Add the check of maximum file size for FAT/FAT32 drives

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Slavic

Add the check of maximum file size for FAT/FAT32 drives

Post by *Slavic »

The checking of the remained free size on the target drive before copying is a common (and routine) practice. However, there is one problem which not every user is concerned about: the maximum file size due to file system limits. Primarily I mean FAT32, which is widespread on lot of HDDs and flash drives.

By design, the maximum file size limit for FAT32 is 4GB (exactly, 4GiB - 1). The size of ISO image of standard DVD is about 4,7GB. This is not an issue when user has an NTFS volume, but if PC has 2 HDD with NTFS and FAT32 (or, more probable situation, if user inserts the USB flash drive with 8GB or more memory), the attempt to copy such image to FAT32 drive gets an unexpected failure. User has to guess about the real cause of failure...

Currently TC doesn't attempt to check the file system limit before copying (downloading by FTP, extracting from archive etc) the large file. As a result, when the 4GB limit is exceeded, TC shows an error window: "Disk is full!". This message is incorrect itself, because it only informs about the inability to append the current file fragment (the disk, by the way, could have enough free space to tens of such files).

I suggest to check the target file system before the copy (download, extract, append etc) operation and warn user, if the size of current file is larger than maximum size for target.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Cmon your using a FileManager so a bit of using Barin 1.0 can be expected :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Barin 1.0
Do you mean Brain 1.0 :?: (or is this a test ;-) )
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

It's a hint about author's IQ, yes? :wink:

In fact, I suppose that such warning would help users who don't remember the technical things like FAT32 limits. When testing a program, I attempt from time to time to check it from the point of ordinary "unenlightened" user like Grandma and Grandpa :D
Clo

And Aunty Agathe !

Post by *Clo »

2Slavic
…I attempt from time to time to check it from the point of ordinary "unenlightened" user like Grandma and Grandpa :D
• And for us (on the French-speaking Web), also Aunty Agatha !
- I guess that such a feature could be useful for them, as built-in indeed…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
SPeller

Post by *SPeller »

support
small very useful feature
PS: Sorry for my english.