[Feature Suggestion] TC Address Bar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

[Feature Suggestion] TC Address Bar

Post by *jb »

The blue title bars of the left and right pane (displaying the current directory and the file filter) should be turned into TC address bars similar to the one in the Windows File Explorer or in any web browser. A TC address bar would accept any TC-like CD command without the keyword CD. (Some TC-specific features of CD are being discussed in topic "[feature suggestion] Change directory command improvements".)

Such an address bar would have the following benefits:

1. It would NOT occupy additional screen space.

2. It would be possible to jump more quickly to any directory when you encounter a path in some document or e-mail from a co-worker within the same LAN. Just copy the path, paste it into to the address bar and press the return key.
Currently I workaround with the cm_SearchFor command (-> 'Find Files' dialog) for which I dedicated a button with the 'Find…' icon of Word 97 (by the way: that would also be a fine example for the topic "Show TC's beauty & power by default – Config Schemes").

3. Probably the TC command line would be superfluous because its main use is to call CD. Thus many TC users could regain screen space.
Since years I have disabled the TC command line because it occupies valuable screen space. When I need a CD call then I prefer the cm_SearchFor command as already mentioned above. When I need a full-fledged command line then I prefer the cm_ExecuteDOS command for which I also dedicated a button.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Will be included in 5.51 (and I hope Christian won't kill me for giving the competitors such info ;) ).

Probably the TC command line would be superfluous because its main use is to call CD.

I disagree. I never used the command line to call cd.

HTH
Roman
bago

Post by *bago »

I think I prefer to gain space by integrate the "drive select bar" with the "current path bar". I don't think I will use the "current path" instead of the command line. When I use TC I allways have 2 hands on the keyboard and it is faster to write "cd " CTRL+V than moving one hand to the mouse and point the "current path bar".
License #55385
bago

Post by *bago »

It is a little OT, but I use very much the Dave's Quick Search Taskbar Toolbar Deskbar (http://notesbydave.com/toolbar/doc.htm).

It's a really cool tool: I don't think that integration of this tool with TC would help a lot.
License #55385
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Who knows, maybe there will be an internal command to edit the path bar...

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jb

Post by *jb »

2Hacker
Hacker wrote:I disagree. I never used the command line to call cd.
Do you use the TC command line at all?
If yes would you mind to give at least one typical example?

On this occasion I would like to point out that the TC command line is NOT very suitable to call console applications (typically small "command line tools") because after its termination the console window is closed automatically and so you have no time see the output written to the console window (STDOUT and often STDERR).
Leif

Post by *Leif »

jb wrote:On this occasion I would like to point out that the TC command line is NOT very suitable to call console applications (typically small "command line tools") because after its termination the console window is closed automatically and so you have no time see the output written to the console window (STDOUT and often STDERR).
Try Shift+Enter.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 16-02-2003 14:32:32 +0000 Hacker wrote:

H> Will be included in 5.51 (and I hope Christian won't
H> kill me for giving the competitors such info ;)).

Well, you are definitely not the first one, who let out a secret ;).

H> Who knows, maybe there will be an internal
H> command to edit the path bar...

LOL :D And now you are definitely the first one ;).[/face]
jb

Post by *jb »

Leif wrote:
jb wrote:On this occasion I would like to point out that the TC command line is NOT very suitable to call console applications (typically small "command line tools") because after its termination the console window is closed automatically and so you have no time see the output written to the console window (STDOUT and often STDERR).
Try Shift+Enter.
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it seems to work only for built-in commands such as DIR or SET (internal to the command shell) or XCOPY (external), but not for arbitrary console tools such as NMAKE.EXE. Right :?:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Shift+Enter just puts the contents of the COMSPEC environment variable in front of the command line, usually

command /c

or so. NMAKE should also work if it is in the path!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 16-02-2003 14:28:43 +0000 jb wrote:

First of all and with all my respect I should note, all this "should be turned" and "would accept" sounds rather like out of court orders than low ask, don't you think? May be because of language barrier or something... But I do hope you don't suppose to order something to Christian, don't you? :)

j> Since years I have disabled the TC command line
j> because it occupies valuable screen space.

Well, acquainted with all your post I have assumed you are not very familiar with TC interface.
OK.
You can run TC CL anytime even if you disable it. In a fool view you just need to press right or left KBD arrow, if you prefer brief one, use shortcut with internal command "cm_visCmdLine".

j> Do you use the TC command line at all?

Of course I do. Moreover, I found it very convenient. I can't say I completely happy with it, but it is good as it is now.

j> If yes would you mind to give at least one typical
j> example?

Any CL operation. For example if I need to run some executable with one or several files as parameters. BTW, do you know it has (very limiter) callback?

j> after its termination the console window is closed
j> automatically and so you have no time see the output
j> written to the console window

Well, Leif already answered your question, the thing I should add NOCLOSE.PIF shold be in your %SYSTEMROOT% directory to make it work.[/face]
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

A bit out of topic but since the discussion has moved from the address bar feature to the command line: Can we have Christian the useful shortcut Ctrl+E displayed on the keyboard list in the help file? I still don’t get it why it’s not there! Is there a special reason or it just fell out of your attention?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Post by *jb »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Shift+Enter just puts the contents of the COMSPEC environment variable in front of the command line, usually

command /c

or so. NMAKE should also work if it is in the path!
It works if you specify an .EXE (eg. nmake.exe) without its directory and the directory specification is in the %PATH%.

But it does not work if you specify an .EXE with its directory and the directory specification contains spaces (regardless whether the .EXE file specification is enclosed in double quotes or not).

EXAMPLE (tested on a Windows 2000 machine)
Call of nmake.exe from the TC V5.5 command line:
[face=courier]"E:\Program Files 2\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\NMAKE.EXE" /?
Bad command or file name[/face]

Call of nmake.exe directly from the command line of %ComSpec%:
[face=courier]>"E:\Program Files 2\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\NMAKE.EXE" /?

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 6.00.8168.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.
...[/face]

It seems to me that TC V5.5 swallows the double quotes :!:
jb

Post by *jb »

Black Dog wrote:First of all and with all my respect I should note, all this "should be turned" and "would accept" sounds rather like out of court orders than low ask, don't you think? May be because of language barrier or something... But I do hope you don't suppose to order something to Christian, don't you?
I am sorry if my suggestion gave the impression of a court order to you. As you might have noticed in other posts of mine I appreciate TC very much and have great respect for its author.
Black Dog wrote: j> Since years I have disabled the TC command line
j> because it occupies valuable screen space.

Well, acquainted with all your post I have assumed you are not very familiar with TC interface.
OK.
You can run TC CL anytime even if you disable it. In a fool view you just need to press right or left KBD arrow, if you prefer brief one, use shortcut with internal command "cm_visCmdLine".
Thanks for the "fool view" (aware or Freudian slip or "language barrier" or uncontrolled heat?).
Actually I knew the keyboard trick, but I forgot it because since years I use my command line button as already mentioned.
Black Dog wrote:j> If yes would you mind to give at least one typical
j> example?

Any CL operation. For example if I need to run some executable with one or several files as parameters. BTW, do you know it has (very limiter) callback?
No! Do you want to test me or do you try to explain anything?
With all my respect your example is not very enlightening.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 16-02-2003 21:30:26 +0000 jb wrote:

j> I am sorry if my suggestion gave the impression of
j> a court order to you.

I'm sorry too for doubt your respect and appreciation :). The words are the only thing we have here, so sometimes "IMHO" or "I think" works wonders.

j> Thanks for the "fool view"

I'm sorry, I suppose this is just a slip without slightest trace of Sigmund :).

j> I forgot it because since years I use my command
j> line button as already mentioned

Well, "cm_visCmdLine" appears quite recently, in 5.50 as far as I can remember...

j> No! Do you want to test me or do you try to explain
j> anything?

I don't want to explain people thing they already knew, so that was just a question, I already made my tests :).
Open CL, type one or several letters w/o spaces an press "Ctrl"+"Enter". This recalls the first command starting from this letter(s). But unfortunately, only first, you can't go through all matching commands this way.

j> With all my respect your example is not very
j> enlightening.

I don't know typical procedures you execute via CL so GIGO ;). Anyway, for example I need to take a list of some specific archive contents not supported with Commander (yet ;)). I open directory with executable and copy the full (:)) path to the CL with "Ctrl"+"Shift"+"Enter". Then I open directory with archive and copy the short path with "Ctrl"+"Enter" exactly after executable. Then I make some editing, put appropriate command and parameters and press "Shift"+"Enter". Well, I forgot about one parameter. OK, I press "Ctr"+"E" and recall last command entered. Etc.
I don't know is this example enlightening enough for you, so make your question more clear.[/face]