ftp to ftp copying files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts24

ftp to ftp copying files

Post by *ts24 »

Trying to copying files from a ftp connection to a other ftp connection, does not work.
Is this something what can not support with TC or is it a configuration input error from myself?

example:
copy *.* from ftp://ipaddress to ftp://ipaddress
after a view seconds you get an error.

Does anyone have a solution or answer?
Thanks for it,
Ronald
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

this only works if the ftps support ftp-to-ftp-direct-copy....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ts24

Post by *ts24 »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:this only works if the ftps support ftp-to-ftp-direct-copy....
Ok. How can I check this on my server?
Clo

Clearer please

Post by *Clo »

2ts24

:) Hello, welcome aboard !

• Like Sir_Silva points out, it depends on the servers themselves only, this is not a TC issue.
• You say another server, but you example is a bit lame, sorry, it might be :

Code: Select all

copy *.* from ftp://ipaddress_1 to ftp://ipaddress_2 
- Is it right ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ts24

Re: Clearer please

Post by *ts24 »

Clo wrote:2ts24

:) Hello, welcome aboard !

• Like Sir_Silva points out, it depends on the servers themselves only, this is not a TC issue.
• You say another server, but you example is a bit lame, sorry, it might be :

Code: Select all

copy *.* from ftp://ipaddress_1 to ftp://ipaddress_2 
- Is it right ?

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Yes, that is correct. But then in the 2 tables viewer of TC.
ftp://ipaddress_1 - Selecting a file
Copying with F5 to
ftp://ipaddress_2
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ts24,
See also TC's Help, section 3.g), especially the "Copy files from one FTP server to another server" part.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ts24

Post by *ts24 »

Hacker wrote:ts24,
See also TC's Help, section 3.g), especially the "Copy files from one FTP server to another server" part.

HTH
Roman
I am running it on a Vista pc. In help I get the Vista Help. Again Vista!
now i only can edit in Lister.
I have downlaoded the helpfile from this server.
Any suggestions?
Clo

Tuto---

Post by *Clo »

2ts24

:) As an alernative, you could consult our Tutorial (please, see in my signature below) which is written in HTML.
- A CHM version is available too…
- Also ONLINE.

- Indeed, this is a third-party document, that doesn't work from the Help buttons in the programme…
- This is not planned in the EXE (though it's possible).

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

ts24 wrote:I am running it on a Vista pc. In help I get the Vista Help. Again Vista!
This is maybe because Vista can't handle "old" .hlp file format. To fix this you can download WinHlp32.exe from MS here
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I copied the FTP Section frome the help. Please copy the text and paste it in a text file. I shrinked the text size to not blow up the post.
Total Commander Help FTP wrote:FTP

Total Commander contains a built-in FTP client. With this client you can access up to 10 FTP servers at the same time over the Internet or a company Intranet. The FTP client not only allows uploading and downloading files, but also supports the direct transfer of files from one remote server to another. You operate the FTP client exactly the same as the file functions of Total Commander, i.e. with the functions copy (F5), rename (SHIFT+F6), delete (F8 ), Make directory (F7), and copy in the same directory (Shift+F5). F5 - F2 copies the file in background without affecting the "background" option.

Hint: Total Commander only supports the most important server types, like Unix, Windows NT, VMS and PC/TCP, and partially OS9 and AS-400. If there is no directory listing shown after connecting, the server type is probably not supported. In this case you should use an external FTP client, e.g. WS_FTP or CuteFTP. You can also try to define a custom server type in FTP Connect - New connection (choosing 'Server type' - 'Define new type').

New: IPv6 internet addresses are now also supported, e.g. in the form [1234:56:789A:BC:: DE]:21 (with 21 the port), and via name resolution. This has to be enabled in wcx_ftp.ini (PreferIPv6= option).

FTP Connect Opens a dialog box with a list of all saved connections. You can open a connection simply by double clicking on it. Shortcut key: CTRL+F
FTP New Connection In this dialog box you can enter either a server name, like ftp.microsoft.com, or an URL, e.g. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/windows/
Shortcut key: CTRL+N
When you disconnect, you will have the option to save the current connection, so you can access it through 'FTP Connect' the next time you want to logon to that site.

If you enter a Web address, like http://www.someserver.com/somefile.htm, Total Commander will try to download the file with the http
protocol used for the WEB.
New: To use FTP over SSL/TLS, enter the URL as follows: ftps://ftp.servername.com
Notes: You need to copy the openssl dlls from www.openssl.org to the Totalcmd directory. Certificates for certificate vendors like Verisign or directly for servers may be stored in wincmd.pem in the same directory as the file wincmd.ini.

FTP Disconnect Disconnects the current connection. Shortcut key: CTRL+SHIFT+F
FTP Show hidden files Total Commander will use the command "LIST -la" to request the file listing. This will list hidden files on Unix systems, which start with a period.
FTP Download from list
Downloads all files from a user-created list file to the given directory. The list file must contain a list of URLs to files or subdirs (like ftp://ftp.server.com/subdir/file.zip). It may also contain a relative or absolute destination name, separated by an arrow (ftp://ftp.server.com/subdir/file.zip -> c:\local\file.zip). You can add a file to the download list by right clicking on it during an ftp connection, and choosing 'add to download list'. This function also allows to download from WEB servers (http//www.server.com).

How do I
- Resume an aborted download?
To resume the download of a partially downloaded file, you must select the file on the server, then press F5 (with the partially downloaded file shown in the other window). After the normal download dialog box, you will be shown a dialog box which offers you to resume the download (or overwrite the partial file). Total Commander will first download the last few bytes of the partial file to check that the file hasn't changed in the meantime, then download the rest of the file. Unfortunately not all FTP servers support this function.

- Resume an aborted upload?
This is only supported for the 'binary' transfer mode (or automatic mode when uploading a binary file). Select the file on your harddisk, then press F5 (with the partially uploaded file shown in the other window). As with resuming downloads, not all servers support this function. Warning: There is no guarantee that the uploaded file will be correct, so double-check it on the server after the upload. With some versions of the server WarFTPd, the resume seems to work, but the uploaded file is unusable!

- Copy files from one FTP server to another server?
Simply connect to the two servers, so you see their file listings in the two file windows. Then select the file(s) to be copied, and press F5. Please note that remote copy is NOT supported by all servers, and it may also fail through a firewall. The left server will receive PORT commands, the right one PASV commands. Therefore if one server is in a private network or behind a firewall, and the other is public, put the private server in the LEFT window.

- Send commands directly to the FTP server?
Just type the command in the command line of Total Commander, and press ENTER. Make sure the active file window shows a current FTP connection! The following commands are intercepted by Total Commander, and executed directly: GET, PUT, RETR, STOR. You can use the command HELP to get a list of supported commands.
- Refresh a directory listing?
Since Total Commander keeps all directory listings downloaded in one session in a cache, you must force a reread of a directory by pressing F2 or CTRL+R to see the true contents of the server. This may be necessary if another user or a background thread uploaded a file to the server while you were online.

- Transfer files and still continue to work with Total Commander?
In the 32 bit version you can check the option in background in the dialog box 'download' or 'upload', respectively. Then a new window is opened for every file transfer.
Important: A new connection must be established to the FTP server for every background transfer. This connection may not be established in some cases, e.g. if the maximum number of users is reached. In this case you may download the file in foreground, and, start Total Commander a second time.

- Define the transfer mode for transferred files?
You can define the transfer mode in the FTP toolbar, which appears after a connection is made. The mode can be set to binary, text, and automatic. The shortcut is CTRL+M. In automatic mode, the actual transfer mode is determined by the file association. Please note: You cannot set the transfer mode when connecting via a HTTP proxy - the proxy itself defines the mode via MIME types.
- Connect to a server using OTP secure FTP authentication (MD4, MD5 or SHA1)?

Simply enter the plain text password, Total Commander will automatically send the correct response.
sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
ts24

Post by *ts24 »

Thanks for the suggestions and help docs.
I have read and test it. No result.
Probably my server does not support remote copying.
Does someone know how to accept this for my server?
I am running suse-10

Again thanks anyway for the support I become.
Ronald
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends on the ftp server you use. You can find out what server is used by logging in, and then checking the login messages by double clicking on the little log window in the Total Commander FTP toolbar.

For example, my server uses Proftpd. To enable server to server transfers with proftpd, you need to add the line
AllowForeignAddress to the file ProFTPD.conf, and then restart Proftpd. Just make a Google search for
<yourservername> fxp

to find the instructions if you do not use Proftpd.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
miksa

Post by *miksa »

Hi guys, I have the same 'problem' I am using ftp to ftp copying every day. Because I do not have the chance to change setting of ftp server, I had to copy the files to local disk and then to ftp, but it was not so comfortable. Later I have found a solution with FAR manager, which solves this problem with copying files into temp folder and uploading them to ftp from there.

Ghisler: could you please implement such feature into TC too? Something like adding checkbox to the copydialog when ftp to ftp copy begins, which could means "first save(download) files localy, then upload them". Thank you for your answer. Sorry my english.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider that, thanks for your suggestion.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mgutt

Post by *mgutt »

I have the same problem.

Any alternatives to copy files with lower and upper case? I have files called "bild.jpg" and "bild.JPG" and if i download them in Windows, one will be overwritten.

:cry:

regards