TC7.01 - Custom columns, plain text only

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

TC7.01 - Custom columns, plain text only

Post by *white »

If you create custom columns using plain text only (no plugin data), the text is not shown.
As soon as you add plugin data to a custom column, it is possible to have custom columns with plain text only.

Is there a reason for this or is this a bug?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, the custom columns are meant to be used with content string fields only. You can combine them with text, but you cannot have just text. It's currently not planned to change this.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, the custom columns are meant to be used with content string fields only. You can combine them with text, but you cannot have just text. It's currently not planned to change this.
I do not think this is very transparent for the user. If the user instructs the computer to display just text, it should do so. Or it should display a message or at least it should be mentioned in the help.

And why is it that after you have added a column with content string field(s), it is possible to add additional columns with just text?

The same thing applies to "Show custom fields below thumbnails" (see Configuration - Thumbnails). Just text without custom fields is not shown. And in this case it could be useful to be able to display just text. For instance when you use it in combination with "Fields by Type".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It doesn't really make sense to show a column with just text - all lines would show the exact same text!
The same thing applies to "Show custom fields below thumbnails" (see Configuration - Thumbnails). Just text without custom fields is not shown. And in this case it could be useful to be able to display just text. For instance when you use it in combination with "Fields by Type".
Yes, in this case it could make sense. I will try to add it in this case.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in TC 7.02, please test!
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Cannot confirm. I created a new column set, added one new column (so that there are 3 columns - Name, Ext, Test) and entered xxx, applied it - the column is empty in TC. Checked with 7.02, of course; WinXP SP2.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I tried it too:

1. I added a test-column containing 'xxx' to an already defined column set
-> The text is shown

2. I defined a new set containing only Name, Ext and the Text column
-> No text is shown
Then I added a plugin field (tc.extension) to this new set
-> Text is shown

So a pure-text column seems to work only if any content-plugin value is shown in another column.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It doesn't really make sense to show a column with just text - all lines would show the exact same text!
Yes, in this case it could make sense. I will try to add it in this case.
ghisler(Author) wrote:This should be fixed in TC 7.02, please test!
Looks okay to me. Fixed in the case when showing text only (no plugin data) below thumbnails for a certain file type!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2StickyNomad
Indeed this isn't supported for just a single text-only column, because that really makes no sense to have!

It makes sense for thumbnails view and for hints, where you can show a fixed text under a specific condition, e.g. if the file size is > 1 GB, show a "huge file" warning, or show a warning for very old or very new files.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:because that really makes no sense to have
My arguments from this post is valid for custom columns as well.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, my argument is that except for people trying to find bugs, no one will really have this problem...
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
2StickyNomad
Indeed this isn't supported for just a single text-only column, because that really makes no sense to have!
Thanks for the info. That's totally OK for me, as I have no urge for plain text columns anyway. I just wanted to state my findings.