Lister shows wrong length of mp3 songs for VBR files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JFierce7

Lister shows wrong length of mp3 songs for VBR files

Post by *JFierce7 »

Hi,

I haven't found anything related in the forum - however, I can't imagine that this problem is not known - strange.

Lister (built-in 7.01) shows absolutely wrong timecodes/wrong lengths for VBR coded mp3 files (reproduce with lame --preset standard, for instance). The plugin anytag, on the other hand, does show the right time.

For CBR coded files, however, lister is right.

BTW, is there any way to adjust the volume in Lister?

Regards
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I confirm the wrong time display. My ol' but mighty MP3 tagger ID3Master also shows funny track (in most cases longer) lengths for VBR files.

Maybe this ID3master and TC's player (I've seen this in other programs too, but that's quite a while ago) calculate the track length by checking the bitrate of the first few frames, 'project' this estimation onto the whole file and therefore show a wrong result.

You may try also the nice mmedia plugin, besides being capable of correct VBR time display, this also has playlist support, a volume knob and also shows video files.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

This is an old "bug" but I doubt Christian can do anything about, as the player part is being done by Windows.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's indeed a bug of a the Windows Media Player Window, which is part of Windows. I have no influence on that, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)

No problem, it doesn't annoy me at all :)
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

VBR MP3s need to have a proper header in order to display the correct length in media players. There are many VBR header correctors out there, the one that I use being foobar2000.
TC for Linux please!
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

TC uses DirectShow for listening to MP3, as it seems. My analysis showed, that (at least for Windows XP) the Mpeg-I stream splitter filter gives wrong length for VBR files.
After having installed an mp3 source filter from
http://www.codecs.de/content/view/78/103/
or
http://www.dsp-worx.de/?n=15
the length is fine.
Another, not quite so accurate, solution would have been to install Mpa splitter from guliverkli.sourceforge.net.

Hope that helps others when searching for this kind of problem.