No Global progress bar when moving files.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

M76

No Global progress bar when moving files.

Post by *M76 »

Hi

I've upgraded to 7.02 and I have no global progress bar when I'm moving files

I don't know if it's normal behavior that there is no global progress bar when moving within the same drive. Because then it's possible that's what confuses TC that while the source and a destination is within the same drive letter, they're actaually on different physical drives. eg: the router402 directory is linked to another drive. The calculate sizes before copying option is of course enabled.
In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have posted at least 1 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 3 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP.
You ask me to provide a screenshot then tell me I cannot do it, WTF.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Confirmed, Win2k SP4, TC 7.02.

I created a Junction in D:, pointing to another physical disk Y: (D:\router402 = Y:\router402).
So when moving D:\*.* to D:\router402, TC obviously thinks it is moving withing the same drive (which would be a simple rename), but actually has to move the file contents to another physical drive.

Is this by design?
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this is normal - TC cannot know in this case that it has to copy+delete the files instead of moving them directly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

TC cannot know in this case that it has to copy+delete the files instead of moving them directly.
This reminds me of the "great" Norton Speed Disk. While all other defragmenters knew that there's a mounted partition in there, only Speed Disk failed to see it. Well... FAT32 FTW :wink:.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not as easy as you may think, e.g. if one of the copied subdirectories (or a subdirectory of them) is a hard link...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
M76

Post by *M76 »

The link appers differently in tc, so it can and does differentiate it from convenctional directories, doesn't it? Then why not use this information when moving?