I miss this forum

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I missed you all guys… (and ladies!)

Hmmm new name new forum! I’m becoming used to big changes lately! :)

I really like the new look. Not to mention that I feel happier that the forum is now hosted by Christian himself! What more can we ask! Well, I could ask for my 181 posts back as I was so close in becoming a Senior Member! Oh, well no harm done… What eases my pain is the fact that my date of registration in this forum is only one day after the author’s now! It’s so cool!!! ;)

Kind regards,

Panos
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-02-05, 22:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My first post.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maxwish wrote:It's all looking quite nice and I see many are using their own avatars. The default avatars are all manga type faces, what IMHO is quite boring and does not add anything to personalize one's identity. (and nobody really wants to use them because somebody else might use the same one)
These are the default avatars of the phpbb board - they seem to be from games (final fantasy), US-comics (e.g. batman, x-men), anime series (ranma) etc. - indeed not very suited for a support forum. When installing the forum, I already deleted half of them because they were completely unusable.
Maxwish wrote:What about replacing them (or adding) some country flags. I have a nice collection of 193 countries (only 47 KB)
That's a great idea! I have just uploaded them. But a custom avatar image is of course better, so I enabled this option already. The gallery is mainly for those who don't have the time to create their own image.

Btw, if you miss your image from the previous board, try this: Set your browser to offline mode, then visit the old forum at http://www.eforum.de . You may be able to see some of your old posts from the cache, and save your old avatar to disk. You can then use it as a custom avatar in our forum!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Odegard

Post by *Odegard »

Ahhh...nice to be back. I was worried there for a while. I like the new design, good job!
I agree on the manga avatars...boooring, but I liked the flag part.

Another thing, do we really need the postcount? What is it good for?

Looking forward to spending time here in the future!

Odegard
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post counts are good to see how active someone is in the forum. This can often be a sign that a user is familiar with the program, and gives his answers a higher value.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I personally like the post count, but Christian, aren't you contradicting your own Forum rules?
"The number of posts on this board has no direct relation to the experience of a member."

TIA
Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I write "This can often be a sign". There are always people who have too much time and write a lot of posts, so a high number of posts doesn't always mean that the content is good. But it's an indication that the user has taken the time to use the program, and to help other users.

Btw, the phpbb board has a function to show stars or other symbols depending on the number of posts. Until now I haven't added this. Should I add it or not, what do you think? I can also (in addition or alternatively) add just a text, e.g. "Junior member", "Member" and "Senior member". That's how it was in the old web board. I have just added a poll for this here.
ford prefect

Post by *ford prefect »

Finally the hitchhiker has found the way back... :wink:

Nice to see all those old faces comming also to this forum-board :D
Back to old names I say :D

Hmm... Private mesaging's gone. Well no matter :)

Click... If I were not so lazy or stupid I could of saved the old forum content. When you remember there was this great idea to make a common tips and tricks page for T-Com and my idea was to go through the forum and get som usefull stuff out of it (as Hacker had the idea to build the forum based FAQ.txt or who ever it was :? ). Now in that age I've realized that it would be usefull to have the entire forum on CD so it would be possible to work on the project also offline. So I runned the TeleportPro downloaded the entire forum and burned that stuff on a CD-RW... As the time flew I abadoned the project and... And as sad as it might be I overwrote the CD-RW with some junk :cry: :cry: :cry:

One more word
Strange that one of the Protoss still didn't show up...
Don't Panic! We have Total Commander...
cyberclops

Hello from a newbie

Post by *cyberclops »

Wow! This is an international forum if there ever was one :)

I am from the USA but unlike many Americans I'm not so silly to think that nothing good goes on outside our borders.
Lowell
-------
There are 10 types of people in the world ...
Those who understand binary ...
And those who do not.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

ford prefect wrote:Hmm... Private mesaging's gone.
Was this available in the old forum? I ask because I never used it. I can enable it if there is enough interest. The problem is that phpbb doesn't seem to allow to turn off private messages separately per user, so I turned it off because it can be a big nuisance.
MxxCon

Post by *MxxCon »

yes, PM's where available in old forum.
i also request that remove quick reply hack.
on most boards that i visit that implemented it quality of posts droped becuase it doesn't take much to post a reply therefore people tend to think less before posting..

another thing, but i don't know if you want to try another msgboard, is to use Invision Board instead of phpBB. it seem to be very similar to vBulletin, and one of it's major advantages of it uses relatevly few system resources...recently it became very popular and many big sites switched from other boards to it.
if you do deside to switch/try there are phpBB-to-IVB DB converts so you'll be able to keep all users and posts.
[Sig removed by administrator: Signature can not exceed 20GB.]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

MxxCon wrote:yes, PM's where available in old forum.
i also request that remove quick reply hack.
on most boards that i visit that implemented it quality of posts droped becuase it doesn't take much to post a reply therefore people tend to think less before posting..
I find quick reply extremely useful because I have to write a lot of replies. I can still remove it if there are too many "stupid" replies...
MxxCon wrote:another thing, but i don't know if you want to try another msgboard, is to use Invision Board instead of phpBB. it seem to be very similar to vBulletin, and one of it's major advantages of it uses relatevly few system resources...recently it became very popular and many big sites switched from other boards to it.
I decided to use phpbb because it's easy to modify, and because it supported all I needed, e.g. setting the board language without logging in. I'm not sure whether Invision Board supports this or not. Concerning the system resources: I'm using an addition which caches the templates, this seems to speed up the board quite a bit.
MxxCon wrote:if you do deside to switch/try there are phpBB-to-IVB DB converts so you'll be able to keep all users and posts.
So I can switch to Invision Board at a later time without losing all posts? In this case, I will use phpbb as long as there are no problems (e.g. complains by the hosting provider about excessive CPU usage).
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

2ghisler(Author)

One more wish. Sure, everybody will like it!

Look at here. This board is also on phpBB. and there is a fine hackes installed also. But there is a one that I made myself.

click on username will add in QuickReply Form its name to be qouted. and selecting text in message and clicking Quote will add selected text qouted. If it is not quite clear how to perfprm this hack I'll try to describe it somehow:

in overall_header.tpl:

between <head></head>

add javascript

Code: Select all

<script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--

function pasteN(text){
  if (text != '') document.post.input.value = document.post.input.value + "2[b]" + text + "[/b]\n";
}

function pasteQ(text){
  if (text !="") document.post.input.value = document.post.input.value + "[quote]" + text + "[/quote]\n";
}

//-->
</script>

in viewtopic_body.tpl

instead of just

{postrow.POSTER_NAME}
do

<a href="javascript:pasteN('{postrow.POSTER_NAME}')">{postrow.POSTER_NAME}</a>
and near the Quick Reply Form in viewtopic.php or in viewtopic_body.tpl add:

<a href=\"vbscript:pasteQ(document.selection.createRange().Text)\">Quote</a>
if in viewtopic.php or

<a href="vbscript:pasteQ(document.selection.createRange().Text)">Quote</a>
if in viewtopic_body.tpl

2MxxCon
I do not agree with you. Truely I hated eforum.de because it has no Quick Reply. And I never visit forums often if it has no quick reply, because it is terribly inconvinient! And quick reply form has nothing to do with the quality of users posts.

For example I use dialup, and after visiting forum and having opened several threads I can disconnect, then quietly read everything and type reply without having to reconnect, clicking on reply buttons and forgetting what I wanted to say.

Moreover, many users of eforum.de did not received replies from me because of Quick Reply form absence!

2ghisler(Author)
It would be much more convinient if you make quick reply form a little bit bigger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ergo wrote:click on username will add in QuickReply Form its name to be qouted.
Nice, this one works!
Ergo wrote:and selecting text in message and clicking Quote will add selected text qouted.
This one doesn't work. :(
Ergo wrote:

<a href="vbscript:pasteQ(document.selection.createRange().Text)">Quote</a>
My browser (Mozilla) doesn't do VB-Script. Any idea how to do this in Javascript?
Ergo wrote:It would be much more convinient if you make quick reply form a little bit bigger
OK, I will try that! The quick reply is a hack by someone else which I adapted to my needs.
Ergo

Post by *Ergo »

This one doesn't work.
Yes :( It doesn't work in Mozilla as well as in Opera and truely I don't know how to make it as I do npt program javascript :(
Wincmd.ru WWW.TOTALCMD.NET
I see that future is near...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Ergo
Yes It doesn't work in Mozilla as well as in Opera and truely I don't know how to make it as I do npt program javascript
I found out how to do it by using a Google search!

The code to use to get the document text is:

if (document.getSelection) text = document.getSelection();
    else if (document.selection) text = document.selection.createRange().text;
    else return;
So I moved this to the PasteQ() function and called it like this:

javascript:pasteQ()
You can see the Quote function in action in this board now.

Another question to you: Do you know a hack which allows a user to turn off receiving of private messages? I found a thread for this on phpbb.com, here:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=55027&highlight=private+messages

But unfortunately the site to which they link seems to be gone. :(
any ideas?