[7.02a] No capitals in dirname

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

[7.02a] No capitals in dirname

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I'm not able to name a new directory containing uppercase characters any more, if the previous character is a number.
I use hexadecimal counting indications frequently, but "0A" becomes "0a".
(While I still had to spell the correct capital in the dirname as part of a html-link to get through.)
More tests : If all others characters in the name are numbers, this happens. As soon as there is a alphabet character too, the capital is shown correctly.
Clo

Same setting

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hello Sam !

• That works only if you untick the box :
Options >> Configuration >> Display >> [ ] Show old 8.3 file-names lowercase…

- I tested even 1.A, it displays 1.a… Same with 1A_A it displays 1a_a, while A1, B3 and the like work
(I've a lot of such dirs as working folders in each drive).
- The setting above acts both for files and folders, that's not new, and many times annoying…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Thanks, Clo. Unticking that box solved the problem in representation.
But to me this result doesn't give much information about the mechanisms involved.
What's the relation between a file-name read format and the title of a directory ?
Clo

Dir is a file

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hi Sam !

• If I understood correctly, finally a directory on the HD is no more than a special type of file which contains others…
- So, I assume that the naming process (then, the options of display) are the same in the two cases.
- Indeed, it's desorienting sometimes, and perhaps some workarounds exist to get a more logical display,
i.e. in the case you show…
- The Win style displays the first character as a cap (option ticked),
so with your OA it considers that the digit "0" is the initial cap, that's all…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials