TempPanel requests

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdmarch

TempPanel requests

Post by *jdmarch »

Handy plugin!

1. F12 should copy the selected files' original paths to the clipboard, rather than copying the \\TempPanel path. Reason: when one copies filenames with paths to the clipboard, it is to carry to another application. Since \\TempPanel is invisible to other applications, it is not very useful for this purpose.

If this is difficult to implement, another command to perform the same function would be ok. In the meantime, as a workaround, I can copy the path info from the TempPanel.tpl file, but this is obviously much less convenient, since it requires manual filtering of both columns and rows in this file.

2. Can't drag files from another application to \\TempPanel. When files are dropped in \\TempPanel, gives the error message "Error: Cannot write (filename)! Please remove the write protection!". Yet if I copy the same files from a TC window to \\TempPanel, there is no problem.

3. Problems with implementation of sub-folders in \\temppanel:

a. Bug: I can move files from \\temppanel (root), or from its subfolder, to another subfolder (either by dragging or with F6 between sides), but I can't move files to \\temppanel (root) from its subfolder, by any technique whatsoever.

b. Ctrl+B does not work in \\TempPanel

4. Ctrl+C,X,V are not supported.

Thanks!

P.S. --- also:

5. Ctrl+R refresh should update the date and size of each file in the temp panel.

6. When a file in temp panel is renamed, and then opened, what is actually opened is a temporary copy of the original file. This should be documented.
Jonas

Re: TempPanel requests

Post by *Jonas »

jdmarch wrote:1. F12 should copy the selected files' original paths to the clipboard, rather than copying the \\TempPanel path.

3.b. Ctrl+B does not work in \\TempPanel

4. Ctrl+C,X,V are not supported.

5. Ctrl+R refresh should update the date and size of each file in the temp panel.
This has nothing to do with TempPanel but is a TC-thing:
1. cm_CopyFullNamesToClip (I assume you bound it F12) copyes the path of the file under the curder to the clipboard which is in your case \\\TempPanel\dir\file.ext

3.b. I also noticed this in my iPod plugin. It seems that TC doesn't support Crtl-B for Plugins

4. Ctrl+X,C,V uses the windoes copyfunktions and because plugins are for accessing filesystems win can't reach the wincopyfunkctions can't work

5. The refresh dosen't work for plugins. I'd also like TC to do this.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Thanks, Jonas. So (3b) and (5) are TC wishlist items. Will ghisler see them here or should they be mentioned in the main forum?

As for (1), it depends what you mean by "the file under the cursor". The object under the cursor in TempPanel is not a file, but a pointer to a file, and while the pointer is in \\TempPanel, the file is not. If TC won't permit TP to return the file's path, then that's another TC wishlist item. In the meantime, a TP command which returns the file's path would be very useful.

Regarding (4): It would be nice if TC allowed plugins to overload keystrokes (commands?), so that the plugin could support natural keystrokes such as these...
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Another request:

When parsing a .WINDIR file, please support a format such as this:
D:\dir1\file11.ext
D:\dir1\file12.ext
D:\dir2\file21.ext
D:\dir2\file22.ext

(Currently, only files in a single dir are supported, so that the files in DIR2 are ignored.)

Thanks!

---

P.S. Actually, it's more complicated than this. If the the name of dir2 is longer than the name of dir1, then dir2 is ignored. If the name of dir2 is shorter, then the files are included but the leading characters of the filenames in dir2 are removed. But the essence is that multiple dirs are not supported.
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

jdmarch wrote:As for (1), it depends what you mean by "the file under the cursor". The object under the cursor in TempPanel is not a file, but a pointer to a file, and while the pointer is in \\TempPanel, the file is not. If TC won't permit TP to return the file's path, then that's another TC wishlist item. In the meantime, a TP command which returns the file's path would be very useful.

Regarding (4): It would be nice if TC allowed plugins to overload keystrokes (commands?), so that the plugin could support natural keystrokes such as these...
1. TC can't know that the file under the curser isn't a read file but only a pointer to a rea file (look at the FS-plugin SDK, downloadeble at http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm ).

4. this would require major changes on the plugin-strukture (each plugin would need a messageproc, each of TC's funktions, which are a lot, would need to be accesseble via callback from the plugin, etc.)
And all this only that a single plugin-type (temporary panels) could get cosmetic improvements? In addition TC may supports itself containers (baskets, temp-drives or however you would name them) in future versions.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

So I'm back to hoping that TC6 itself will support persistent virtual folders. Especially since Gorbush has said that he doesn't have time to fix and enhance TempPanel.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Another one for the wishlist:
Goto the actual file (TempDrive can do this, which is one if its strong points).
Gorbush

Post by *Gorbush »

>Handy plugin!
Thanks!
>1. F12 should copy the selected files' original paths to the clipboard,
>rather than copying the \\TempPanel path. Reason: when one copies
>filenames with paths to the clipboard, it is to carry to another application.
>Since \\TempPanel is invisible to other applications, it is not very useful
>for this purpose.
>If this is difficult to implement, another command to perform the same
>function would be ok. In the meantime, as a workaround, I can copy the
>path info from the TempPanel.tpl file, but this is obviously much less
>convenient, since it requires manual filtering of both columns and rows in
>this file.
I will implement a command-line feature - command "copypath" to copy all selected files as original files path to clipboard. But in future...

>2. Can't drag files from another application to \\TempPanel. When files >are dropped in \\TempPanel, gives the error message "Error: Cannot >write (filename)! Please remove the write protection!". Yet if I copy the >same files from a TC window to \\TempPanel, there is no problem.
There is a problim in TC.
Plugin doesn't receive any notification when files dropped in TC TP plugin from other appplicaitons....
But when it's file from other panel of the same TC - it works perfect...

>3. Problems with implementation of sub-folders in \\temppanel:
a. Bug: I can move files from \\temppanel (root), or from its subfolder, to another subfolder (either by dragging or with F6 between sides), but I can't move files to \\temppanel (root) from its subfolder, by any technique whatsoever.
I'll check this

>6. When a file in temp panel is renamed, and then opened, what is actually
>opened is a temporary copy of the original file. This should be documented.
OK

>Another one for the wishlist:
Goto the actual file (TempDrive can do this, which is one if its strong points).
It's already done. View options of plugin, by rightclick menu in Neighbourhood...
Puljajev Sergej aka Gorbush
[Russian Total Commander Plugring Team]
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

> "copypath" ... in future.

Thanks

> Plugin doesn't receive any notification when files
> dropped in TC TP plugin from other appplicaitons

Another one for the TC wishlist.

> options of plugin

Thanks, but a few problems...

1. With "go to file on Return" checked, it's impossible to execute the file immediately. Both are necessary functions, and both should be on the right-click menu, if possible. (Probably from another TC restriction? :))

2. "go to file" doesn't go to the file. It goes to the folder which contains the file. If the folder has many files, it's still difficult to find the file.

3. The plugin options are not mentioned in the readme, and I do not understand some of them:

a. "Physically move files".... when? I'm confused. Surely the whole point of the plugin is that the original files are not moved?

b. "Add duplicate files as indexed". What do you mean?

c. Does the option "import playlists as files" override the option "Confirm parse" for playlist files?

d. I will look this up, but it would be helpful if the readme described briefly the difference between the different generic file list formats (LST, DIR, WINDIR

Thanks again!
Gorbush

Post by *Gorbush »

> options of plugin
>Thanks, but a few problems...
>1. With "go to file on Return" checked, it's impossible to execute the file
>immediately. Both are necessary functions, and both should be on the
>right-click menu, if possible. (Probably from another TC restriction? )
Another one for the TC wishlist. :) Ghisler said - may be in future, as i remember his answer....

>2. "go to file" doesn't go to the file. It goes to the folder which contains >the file. If the folder has many files, it's still difficult to find the file.
Another one for the TC wishlist. :)

>3. The plugin options are not mentioned in the readme, and I do not
>understand some of them:
>a. "Physically move files".... when? I'm confused. Surely the whole point
>of the plugin is that the original files are not moved?
It means, that file, moved from TempPanel still exists in it's original locating - it's deleted in plugin's list only. Checking this forces a deleting the source of original file after moving.

>b. "Add duplicate files as indexed". What do you mean?
That repeating of adding the same file (i.e. file.txt)will create listing of files like:
file.txt
file 1.txt
file 2.txt
file 3.txt
... etc.

>c. Does the option "import playlists as files" override the option "Confirm
>parse" for playlist files?
Yes, it prevents of parsing the playlists, and so - it prevents of confirmation dialog to parse or not this playlist files....

>d. I will look this up, but it would be helpful if the readme described
>briefly the difference between the different generic file list formats (LST,
>DIR, WINDIR
.LST files created by DISKDIR WCX plugin.
.DIR files created by Catalog Maker WCX plugin.
.MLS files created for FlyVCD video player.
.BPL and M3U files created by WinAmp media player.
.WinDIR files created by redirecting the output of DOS command DIR with options /S /B. It means - directory listing with recursing and brief file listing

Both of them and be imported in Temporary Panel by copieng...
> Thanks again!
Thanks to you! :)
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Thanks, Gorbush.

As I mentioned earlier (not sure if my comment was clear enough), TempPanel has a bug so that it does not correctly process a .WINDIR file when multiple directories are listed. If the paths have the same length, it works ok, but if they are different lengths, then the filenames are either ignored or corrupted.
For example, it can't correctly process a .WINDIR file containing:
D:\AA\file1.txt
D:\BBBBBB\file2.txt

Fixing this bug is actually the top item on my TempPanel wishlist!

About the documentation: I actually meant that it might be useful if the readme explicitly showed the format of a .LST file and a .DIR file so that a person does not have to install and test those plugins to know what format is expected. But that's a small point.

Thanks!
Last edited by jdmarch on 2003-10-10, 16:32 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gorbush

Post by *Gorbush »

>For example, it can't correctly process a .WINDIR file containing:
>D:\AA\file1.txt
>D:\BBBBBB\file2.txt
Thanks for bugreport, I'll fix it...

>About the documentation: I actually meant that it might be useful if the
> readme explicitly showed the format of a .LST file and a .DIR file so that
>a person does not have to install and test those plugins to know what
>format is expected. But that's a small point.
But authors of this plugins can change format of it's files.... What should i do then?
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

> bugreport, I'll fix it...

Many thanks.

> But authors of this plugins can change format of
> it's files.... What should i do then?

Ideally, your readme would describe the file format which your plugin requires. If your plugin's requirements change (for whatever reason, including because of changes in another file format), then your documentation would change too. But as I said before, this is a small point, not as important as bug fixes, not a necessity, just a nice touch.
Gorbush

Post by *Gorbush »

> bugreport, I'll fix it...
Many thanks.
Fixed.
But there is a problem.
What should i do with file like this:
D:\AA\file1.txt
D:\BBBBBB\file2.txt

Just create two files with names file1.txt and file2.txt or
create two folders AA and BBBBBB
with files AA\file1.txt and BBBBBB\file2.txt in them?

>Ideally, your readme would describe the file format which your plugin
>requires. If your plugin's requirements change (for whatever reason,
Ok, next revision will be with this descriptions....

I send a plugin to Ghisler, may be it will apear in soon in this site :)
Version is 1.0
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

> Fixed.

Great, thanks. I look forward to using it.

> What should i do with file like this:
> D:\AA\file1.txt
> D:\BBBBBB\file2.txt
> Just create two files with names file1.txt and file2.txt or
> create two folders AA and BBBBBB

IMO, the method which you already used was perfect. The point of TempPanel (for me) is to collect files from many different folders into one virtual folder. So when I upload a .WINDIR file which lists files from many folders, I want TempPanel to put all these files into the same virtual folder. This is exactly what TempPanel already does, and it's perfect.