LinkInfo: Lister plugin for viewing/editing LNK files

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

jdmarch:
As this is a lister plugin you should activate the option 'Load bitmaps as graphics at startup' in lister configuration.

Otherwise you'd always have to press '4' to change view to Image/multimedia.

Icfu
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

> you should activate the option 'Load bitmaps as graphics at startup'

Thanks, but that was already set. But the rest of your message helps me use the plugin:

> press '4' to change view to Image/multimedia.

Of course! I had not tried this, like a fool. This does show the LinkInfo :)

Interestingly, subsequent lister views of any LNK files default to '4' automatically. In earlier testing, I must have only tried it on one LNK file so I never noticed this.

To summarize, then: the problem with the plugin on my system seems simply to be that on its first use in a TC session, it defaults to '1'. On all subsequent uses in that TC session, it defaults to '4' as desired.

Thanks again!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You are right, same here. Maybe a prob of the plugin or of TC? No idea which one to blame.

Icfu
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Yeah! At the end I've done 1.21 :) Now it must not crash when choosing icon. And the links with negative icon numbers are shown correctly (But I still don't understand - how is it possible - the existing of such icons ;))
Download here the English version, and here - the Russian one.

Oh, and again - download with browser. I'll place my site on some good hosting soon, and then downloading will be better.
interDist

Post by *interDist »

Thanks for the plugin! I'm sure it is very useful to a lot of people.
Flint wrote:And the links with negative icon numbers are shown correctly (But I still don't understand - how is it possible - the existing of such icons ;))
Seems like Microsoft likes such weird things - I saw these negative numbers only on LNK's to MS products.

I have tested LinkEditor.exe on Win98 and discovered a couple of bugs:
1. Whenever I click on the ... for Icon File, I get an error "Windows cannot find the file" and then a dialog box with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL is displayed.
If Icon File box is empty, it says "cannot find the file %", if something appears there (say C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE), it says "cannot find the file C" (depending what is the very fisrt letter of the path).

2. While in Filename and Target boxes the paths are displayed correctly, the Start in box shows the DOS equivalent of the path. I.e. Target is "D:\Scanners\PageManager\program.exe" then Start in would display "d:\SCANNERS\PAGEMA~1".

Nevertheless, thanks for the work done until now!

I have one more small request: could you give us a link to the documentation on LNK files you referred to on the first page of the discussion?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

interDist
The thing is that I have not tested it on Win9x... But I've recently set WinME on my computer, I'll try to check and correct these bugs them.
What about links on LNK-files structure - I've forgotten them. Somewhen I've just found several files with description, and these files don't contain info where they can be found. If you wish, I can send you them by E-mail, but I think, it's quite easy to find something about LNK-files format by searchers.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Well, a new version is ready! It's 1.3. In this version I've at the end found and fixed bug that prevented the plugin from working on some computers. Now I hope, it will work almost everywhere. There are several additional improvements - History.txt included in the archive describes all additions. Download here:
English version
Russian version
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sweet, still works. :)

Thx very much

Icfu
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

A silent update - I've added a couple of code lines, that can make plugin work in more cases, than before. The version is the same, download links are the same. It the previous version 1.3 worked, it is not necessary to downlolad it again, there is no additional functionality.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

New version - 1.31. In this version file icon is displayed in the Lister window. And in addition this version became more compatible with Win9x. Download:
English
Russian
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

There is something wrong with my site, if files cannot be downloaded, try this mirror:
English
Russian

fg_2002fr

Post by *fg_2002fr »

Hello flint,

Very usefull plugin, particularly when you want to change default locked link from microsoft application like word or excel but..
when I use quickview mode on link located on desktop, your plugin make a longer time to start and finally display a question mark only. if you select the next or the previous file, link info are then normally shown.

(Linkinfo v. 1.31, WinXP pro, TC 6.01)

Best regards
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

fg_2002fr
Hmmm... A very strange bug... Thak you, I'll try to find and fix it.

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I saw it... It seems, this is a TC's bug - my plugin in this situation is simply not called, noone of its functions. Moreover, any other plugin do so. The thing is that on Desktop there are usually only LNK-files, but you can copy there any other file and try to use Ctrl+Q - the result will be the same independently of file type.
I'll create an additional topic and ask for solution there.

Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Hi Flint! Thanks for your plugin!

I installed it when I had to compare a set of LNKs. I pressed F3 on one LNK and on another, but your plugin seems not to be multi-thread safe. Try to launch two listers on LNKs.

About editor: can you please make it resizable and save window's size and position? Because currently editboxes usually are too short to display whole string.