Files/dirs are selected while Shift+up/down in sep. tree

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Files/dirs are selected while Shift+up/down in sep. tree

Post by *Flint »

1. Open a separate tree panel and move focus there (Shift+Tab).
2. Start using quick the search function there.
3. Start pressing Shift+down or Shift+up.
4. Result: Some of the files/dirs in the active file panel become selected/unselected.

Actually, it is not even necessary to use quick search. Shift+up/down does the same in this case too, but selects/deselects only the single current file/dir in the active panel (while with quick search there can be several files/dirs selected).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Files/dirs are selected while Shift+up/down in sep. tree

Post by *HolgerK »

Flint wrote:Actually, it is not even necessary to use quick search. Shift+up/down does the same in this case too, but selects/deselects only the single current file/dir in the active panel
Confirmed!
(while with quick search there can be several files/dirs selected).
Confirmed too with

Code: Select all

AltSearch=3
Regards,
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Shift+Up/down makes no sense in the separate tree, because you cannot select multiple folders there anyway. That's why TC doesn't handle it separately and applies it to the main file panel.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:That's why TC doesn't handle it separately and applies it to the main file panel.
The criterium for selecting the files/dirs to be marked is very vague. I failed to find any conceivable reason why exactly those files were selected and not others. For example, I entered "sy" and it matched two directories in the tree: "Symbols" and "System Volume Information". When I moved over them with Shift+down, in the file panel the "Temp" and "Tools" directories were becoming selected/deselected. Why them in particular?

In my opinion, if the hotkey makes no sense, it should not do senseless things, it should do nothing. In this particular case, I think, Shift+up/down should just move the cursor in the separate tree without selecting/deselecting anything, as if I did not press Shift at all.

Of course, I do not push it for another 7.0x release, it's too minor a bug, but the 7.5 would look better without it. :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64