The new edit path feature in 5.51:

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

The new edit path feature in 5.51:

Post by *JackFoo »

Is the 1sec pause before you can edit the path field by intent? Why? Can I change it, it would be great, thanks.

P.S. What about the delete in background flag, like the copy in background.

Cheers.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

The delay is intentional because you can do other actions as well with that bit of the GUI. Try double-clicking and right-clicking! ;)

If you are a keyboard driven user like most of TC users what you can actually do is assigning a shortcut to this new feature (i.e. the new internal command) so whenever you press that shortcut you’ll be prompt for editing the edit path portion instantly without a delay! :)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, and Shift+F6 (rename) also edits the path when standing on the [..] updir item!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, and Shift+F6 (rename) also edits the path when standing on the [..] updir item!
Cool! Didn’t know that Christian. That’s even better as we have one more (user definable) shortcut available for other tasks! ;)

Although still a user-definable one will be faster because you are not always on top of or close to [..] :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Ok, thou I think that both dbl-click and r-click are different from normal click... Maybe it's possible to add an option not to wait? What about the background delete?

Thanks allot.
Last edited by JackFoo on 2003-02-21, 01:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

JackFoo wrote:What about the background delete?

I think Christian had an explanation about that on the old forum which I cannot recall. What I can remember is that he was “persuasive” on the problems of implementation and we (the users) kind of dropped the idea! :D

I guess you need his words here or someone with better memory than me. Or should I say higher memory capacity in computer terms! ;)
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Hmm, can't recall Christian mentioning anything about background delete... there was quite allot of talk about background search (which is another good issue). Oh well.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

pdavit wrote:The delay is intentional because you can do other actions as well with that bit of the GUI. Try double-clicking and right-clicking! ;)
I'm not at home right now, so please inform me what dbl/right-clicking does. I can't go home just to check that out, you see ;)
license #76904
jb

Post by *jb »

pdavit wrote:The delay is intentional because you can do other actions as well with that bit of the GUI. Try double-clicking and right-clicking!
I think there is another reason for the delay in TC. It may be intentional, but in my opinion it is not required by the support of multiple actions. As far as I know you can specify the delay to distinguish between double-click and click in the "Mouse Properties" of the Windows Control Panel (there the delay is called 'double-click speed').

PS: The more I use the new "edit path" feature (= "TC address bar") the more I would also prefer no delay to enter the edit mode after left-clicking.
Last edited by jb on 2003-02-22, 16:16 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

2TucknDar

double-clicking:directory hotlist show up
right_clicking: explorer context menu show up

But, left clicking, I get nothing there on the path bar. (Shift+F6 on ".." updir item works well) What's wrong with my TC, or me? Is there any one like me?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You might have InplaceRename=0 in your wincmd.ini. If yes, you also need to add InplaceRenamePath=1. See help for further info.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Hacker wrote:You might have InplaceRename=0 in your wincmd.ini.
You are right! Thanks for ur tip! :D
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

oh... I knew that, I thought it was something new... :oops:

btw, there isn't an internal hotkey to cm_editpath is there? I've bound it to Ctrl+E, which IMO is the logical one (consider it a suggestion ;) ).
license #76904
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

>JackFoo
>Hmm, can't recall Christian mentioning anything about background delete... there was quite allot of talk about background search (which is another good issue). Oh well.

Well, whatever the background feature was the complications are similar to some extend.

>TucknDar
> I've bound it to Ctrl+E, which IMO is the logical one

You should better use another shortcut because Ctrl+E is bound to "previous command line" although the Remapping feature of TC doesn’t trigger that because this shortcut is treated like e.g. Ctrl+C and can be classified as system shortcut.

Check this: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=189 also!