7.5 proposed and still no "Undo"?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Blackout

7.5 proposed and still no "Undo"?

Post by *Blackout »

Undo of file move please.

tick box option to make dragging of a file by default = move (instead of copy). ie no having to hold down the shift key.

Powerdesk Pro 6 can do it. has "undo" and has had it for years now. shame Total Commander!
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

2Blackout
Shame on you because you didn't use the search function of this board. "Undo" is discussed for several times.
e.g. http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=18282&highlight=undo
;)
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
Blackout

Post by *Blackout »

its been discussed to death. as if i didnt know...youll find my posts there also..doesnt seem to have helped get an undo added to the "important" updates list tho has it...

and my post is in relation to the new 7.5 update list of updates.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

The number of the discussions about something is not necessarily relevant to the priority of an issue.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The list of new functions I created just contains those who Ghisler confirmed in this forum. That doesn't mean there are no other new functions. Well of course I don't know if undo is contained in 7.5. I just know that Ghisler wasn't too enthusiastic about undo in these discussions. And I know that this gives no clue about whether it's implemented or not :-D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently there isn't any Undo planned for other functions than the multi-rename tool, sorry. Why? It gives you a false feeling of safety because you think that all operations can be undone. But that's normally not true, e.g. when you delete a file bypassing the recycle bin, or when you overwrite files when copying or moving...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Nevertheless I would prefer to have an undo function. It should either undo the operation or just say its not possible with the according reason. (because files were overwritten, deleted directly, etc...)
Tahattmeruh

Post by *Tahattmeruh »

Sometimes i move a folder with drag and drop by accident and i have to search all folders where i put the other one in.
My wish would be to show what TC did as the last actions.
eg:

copy c:\xyz d:\xyz
move c:\temp\1 c:\temp\2\
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

Sometimes when i press F7, instead of a new folder being created, an existing folder (on which is focus at the time) is renamed.
I haven't posted it as a bug because after several years i am still not able to reproduce it on purpose.
But an undo function would come in very handy in this case because sometimes it is hard to rename it back to the old name (because i don't know what it was).

Greetings,
Henrie
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Tahattmeruh wrote:My wish would be to show what TC did as the last actions.
eg:

copy c:\xyz d:\xyz
move c:\temp\1 c:\temp\2\
:?: :? :?:

Configuration--> Options--> Operation : Log file
TC Log Viewer

Kind regards,
Holger
Blackout

Post by *Blackout »

ghisler...i say it again....PowerDesk has "Undo".

Until Total Commander has a similar "undo" then it will be a sub-quality product.

re: deleted from Recycle bin...obviously this is not an "undoable" function and in Powerdesk the "Undo" is just greyed out for this situation. At any rate an undo for naming and as i posted for moving is the foremost priority. Keep making excuses for why its just too hard if you like, but if you do then you must be prepared accept the backlash...
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It gives you a false feeling of safety because you think that all operations can be undone.
The command can be named "Try to undo" to avoid this false feeling. :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

The command can be named "Try to undo" to avoid this false feeling. :)
Support++;
:D
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

And another support from me.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I support this too. Undo is certainly possible. Some TC competitors have it and undo has "saved my life" on more than one occasion.

One issue with undoing actions manually is simply remembering the proper sequence of commands, folders, what-have-you.

Currently I manually mark the log (see this thread) to identify important "transactions", then (also manually) undo the transaction if necessary by reversing the steps bracketed in the log.

Since the log is automatically maintained by TC (if set to do so), it seems a straight forward matter for someone to offer a limited external undo functionality that could be placed on a toolbar button.

However, I personally would expect that any useful undo function would have built-in dependency checking and appropriate alert dialogs when an undo request would fail, before it fails!

Unfortunately, robust dependency checking is a sticky-wicket, programming-wise.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric