Calling TC with tab file

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brahman

Calling TC with tab file

Post by *brahman »

Hi,

It would be nice to call TC with a tab file in the command line which opens the saved tabs.

This way the scope of TC could be greatly expanded (especially in combination with custom ini files).

TC could then be used more easily as f.e. an image viewer, music player etc.

Thanks.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's indeed a good idea, I will consider it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Thank you ghisler!

Another great use for it would be:

Many people autostart TC at windows boot.

Use you favorite workspace tab file to start with there, but in your TC configuration set TC in Operation > Save on Exit to Save your directories, which will load the last set of tabs you had opened.

Now when you want to restart TC or when it crashes(?) it will load the last set of Tabs on which you were working.

But whenever you make a fresh computer start you will have your standard workspace.

This would solve an annoying thing for me: The tabs I have opened in TC remind me of things I still have to do, f.e. clean up after some install or trial. Once these tabs are gone, I may forget that there are still some loose ends left on my HD.

So therefore a crash of TC (which quite frequently happens when right clicking for the context file menu and choosing a shell extension action even in the new beta) has sometimes been very upsetting.

Regards,

Brahman
brahman

In TC 7.5???

Post by *brahman »

Just wanted to check if it is still possible to add this feature to use Tab files from the command line in 7.5 ...

Thanks.

Regards,

Brahman
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Until ghisler has implemented that feature, here is a work around to use tabs in the command line via a batch file using Launchkey:

Code: Select all

LaunchKey "{Wait=2000}%%tm{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Enter}{Wait=100}TabsPath\SavedTabs.tab{Enter}" "CommanderPath\TotalCmd.exe"
exit
Instead of "TabsPath\SavedTabs.tab" you could put %1 and then start TC with any Tab file given as parameter from the command line.

Of course, this would be possible with AutoHotKey also, but I prefer this much more lightweight, easy and resource saving method. :)

Regards,

Brahman
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't really understand what should be implemented. This already works since TC 7.0. Assign OPENTABS or APPENDTABS
to an alias. Call the alias and append the path.
Or do you want something else?
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Lefteous, maybe I cannot fully grasp the wisdom of your advice:

If I assign opentabs to an alias, how does that enable TC to start with a certain set of tabs without any additional user intervention?

Or to answer your question: I would like to start TC with a set of tabs from an external tabs file.

Regards,

Brahman
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Calling TC with tab file

Post by *hi5 »

Just curious: given a recent question viewtopic.php?t=80631 wouldn't the ability to pass on a tab file to the /L /R command line options be useful?
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

hi5 wrote: 2023-12-04, 14:14 UTC Just curious: given a recent question viewtopic.php?t=80631 wouldn't the ability to pass on a tab file to the /L /R command line options be useful?
[Help - Command line parameters] wrote: Instead of a directory, you can also pass a .tab file to load the saved tabs (replacing the current tabs).
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

My bad, good catch. I was focused on the /L /R options.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)