radical breadcrumbs change?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you use the changed breadcrumbs behavior like described in Number 1?

Poll ended at 2009-06-17, 04:55 UTC

Yes I would use it.
42%
No current behavior is fine for me.
23%
I dont care.
35%

Total votes: 31

lpg

Post by *lpg »

2Samuel

sorry, I thought 1.) is what you wanted most.
And as an optional feature that I can have beside the current behaviour you have my vote! :)

I'm definitivly with you for the implementation of 2, 3, and 4.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

No problem. With the time thinking about it, I realized that I like 2., 3. and 4. more than 1.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As written before 2 can hardly be implemented without 1.
lpg

Post by *lpg »

Lefteous wrote:
But isn't that the main purpose of breadcrumbs?
Not necessarily - you could use breadcrumbs when starting above the current level and still navigate to subdirs with panels when starting from the current dir.
Of course you are right. What I meant is that breadcr. are mainly for going down in your folder hierarchy whatever your starting point is.

For me there is a difference: breadcr. are the additional menus under the path not the clickable path itself we already had in TC7.04 but of course they are related.

As far as I understand you can't use the breadrc. (menu) itself for going up - it least for now.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As far as I understand you can't use the breadrc. (menu) itself for going up - it least for now.
Just click on the underlined path parts...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can support suggestion 2 (configurable), 3 and 4.

Especially 4 would be nice. In the current implementation when navigating by keyboard I have to press left twice and then down to show the breadcrumb menu of the parent dir.

I would rather see the keyboard navigation behave like mouse navigation when BreadcrumbDelayButton=-1 - that is: the parent menu pops up immediately when pressing left in the current menu.

I cannot support suggestion 1 (unless it is optional) - it is simply too confusing!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
lpg

Post by *lpg »

Lefteous wrote:As written before 2 can hardly be implemented without 1.
I like Samuels ideas and I think it would be better to let the starting point be the folder im currently in = the far right and I also think that cone be done without the part I don't like from 1.) what should be shown in the menu:
Samuel wrote:"1. I dont like that the content of an folder is shown. What about to show the alternative folders."
Lefteous wrote:
Just click on the underlined path parts...
2Lefteous

I'm not a TC master as you are and you helped me a lot with what you contributed to the forum so a very big thanks for that :D :D :D

So I definetivly don't want to go on your nervs or maybe I'm not as good as explaining in English because I'm from Germany so please be patient :wink: :wink:

I know how the clickable path works but as soon you are in the breadcrumb (=menu) you can't go up from within the menu. You can change the focus to any other folder on the clickable path so another breadcrumb would open and you go from there or click on the path to change to that folder. Or in other words: Every folder in the clickable path has/builds its own breadcrumb menu without an "up" command.

As I said for me there is still a slightly difference between the clickable path we had in V7.04 and the (additional) breadcrumb now - at least for my poor explaining :wink:

So, sorry for stealing your time with this and for all of you: Have a great weekend :) :) :)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

An idea to solve the additional menu open problem in the current path would a button right to the path which opens the subdirs of the current path. It could be just an arrow down just like the desktop breadcrumb menu.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

the desktop breadcrumb menu
What is "the desktop breadcrumb menu" ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The drop down button which opens a breadcrumb menu with displays the Desktop's contents.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

In the German forum someone had a similar idea. He also proposed to make the current folder from the alternatives bold. I like that idea.
Lefteous wrote:An idea to solve the additional menu open problem in the current path would a button right to the path which opens the subdirs of the current path. It could be just an arrow down just like the desktop breadcrumb menu.
Could be activated from "*.*". But in my opinion either navigate in the old way (with file panel) or use menu and push 1 time right button is fine.

Hey I understood you this time. :wink:
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Hey I understood you this time.
Are you sure? :-) Activating from *.* would be quite strange. I actually ment an additional button:
www.lefteous.de/tc/beta_7.5/current_dir_breadcrumb_menu_button.png
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

Is it possible to disable the desktop breadcrumb menu? It's hard enough to catch the drive letter for "breadcrumbing". :lol:
The desktop breadcrumb menu just disturbs. Otherwise we have the hotlist on the right side, and a 2nd one isn't needed.

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Mikefield
Well there is an suggestion in this thread to solve this problem...
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Lefteous wrote:Are you sure? Activating from *.* would be quite strange. I actually ment an additional button:
Yes I understood you. I just suggested *.* because it would fit in the idea of 1. (in my opinion)

Your idea in the image is also good.