Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Possible Bug In TC?: Saving Tabs

Post by *JohnFredC »

I have experimented a bit with this.

TC will not save a tab to a network location \\Heg\

Nothing I have tried will save the tab: locking it, giving it a name, moving it around in the tab group at the top of a panel. I've tried saving the tabs for just ones ide and for both sides. No luck?

If I create a tab and navigate to \\Heg\ I encounter no problems. I can click the tab anytime and return to the network location it points to.

Why would TC ignore a tab?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

After further experimentation I find that I can save a Favorite to the location \\Heg\ but receive an "inaccessible" message if I then select it from the favorites list.

I also notice that the error message displays \\Heg for the link, not the \\Heg\ that is typed into the favorite.

Also, tabs pointing to locations "underneath" \\Heg\ work correctly as Favorites and get saved in the tab file if assigned to tabs after navigating to them from \\Heg\
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this is a known limitation. It's a problem with virtual folders. Trying to get a saveable path for this location fails, so the tab is discarded. \\server\share is a true path which works with file functions, so it's no problem to save it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hi Christian

That makes sense to me, except that if the "virtual folder" is in the history list, TC can navigate to it.

Why not use the value stored by TC in the navigation history as the Favorites/Tab value?

I notice that using "Add current dir" on the favorites menu strips the trailing backslash. But if I then replace the trailing backslash manually (so that the Favorite contains \\HEG\), TC tries to navigate to \\HEG (no trailing backslash).

Perhaps that is the problem?

My new project is in an environment with many shares, so I am still learning how TC behaves in that environment.

Thanks for such a wonderful tool.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

On the same topic,
try setting a Tab to a shared location say: \\server\e$\dir1\dir2 , lock it, somehow TC doesn't save it in the tab list (close TC re-open, the Tab exists but it points to some different location C: for me). The same works with \\server\c$\dir1\dir2 , note that the only difference is the C$ vs E$.

--Bith C and E are valid harddrives on the server.

BTW: I have the same two configurations working pefectly with Favorites.

Cheers.