FEATURE REQUEST: location of hotlist/history buttons, tabs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lucas_C

FEATURE REQUEST: location of hotlist/history buttons, tabs

Post by *Lucas_C »

Hello all,

I started playing around with TC 6.0, and I like it a lot. I have been using windows commander since the 3.something days, and still consider it the best thing since the invention of sliced bread ...

However, I noticed a few user interface issues that irritated me.

(1) Of course, I like the Tabs. But why was the tab bar put in between the drive information bar and the current directory information bar? IMHO, it would be more logical to have the tabs at the top. This way, the four buttons (root, dir-up, hotlist and history) would sit closer together too (but see the next point). The perfect solution of course would be to make the relative position of these three strips configurable.

(2) It looks a bit weird to have the hotlist and directory popup menus peek out of the right side of the panel they belong to (right side of the TC window in case of the right panel). To me it would be more logical to have these buttons on the left side of the panel, so the menu pops up over the panel. For eye-pleasing and symmetry, this may of course require moving the root and directory-up buttons to the left side too. Once again, having this configurable would be perfect.

(3) To me it seems that TC is the only program that still uses the ancient win16 convention of having the help menu on the right side of the menu bar. Will this ever be updated to follow the rest of the world, and move that menu to be just the last menu on the menu bar, but not separated from the other menus?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Lucas_C

(3) search for "HELP_BREAK" in your menu file and remove this line -> restart Total Commander.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

(3) heh, I like having the help-menu on the right actually. I rarely use it, so why leave it with the other menus?

about the other requests, though. I agree that it should be possible to configure the placement of hotlist-buttons and things like that. I would even like to be able to not show them at all, like in 5.51 (if it's possible already, please let me know). Ctrl+D is a natural way of bringing up the hotlist, and I rarely use the mouse in TC, for other than selecting files. I have a very minimal look on TC...
license #76904
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I would even like to be able to not show them at all, like in 5.51 (if it's possible already, please let me know).
Yes, I'd like to have it removed too!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2TucknDar
I would even like to be able to not show them at all, like in 5.51 (if it's possible already, please let me know)
Configuration/Layout/Show buttons for history list and hotlist -> uncheck.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Configuration/Layout/Show buttons for history list and hotlist -> uncheck.
AARRGH!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Lucas_C

Post by *Lucas_C »

Lefteous wrote: (3) search for "HELP_BREAK" in your menu file and remove this line -> restart Total Commander.
Thanks!

I forgot TC allowed customized menus. By setting the menu in the Start|Change main menu entry, I discovered what file to edit. Restarting TC is not necessary, just select the menu file again in the config dialog and hit Apply...