[WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: Stefan2, white, sheep, Hacker

nellossie

Re: [WFX] VirtualPanel: Temporary panel for TC

Post by *nellossie » 2019-05-14, 17:34 UTC

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR PATIENCE...

However you will have to reload database manually in other TC instances which get updated database from Dropbox (I've said about this in my previous post).
AH, NOW I UNDERSTAND, UPDATING & REFRESHING ARE 2 DIFFERENT ACTIONS

If you afraid that auto-merging may damage your database, you can try disabling new database format in settings: new format takes less space but old one is 100% safe to line insertions or deletions because every line contains full virtual path.
GREAT TIP, THANKS

BTW you can configure most settings via GUI configuration dialog by opening Virtual Panel's properties within TC, or by using <config command from TC command line.
SORRY BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO EITHER OF THOSE THINGS - COULDN'T FIND VP IN TC'S OPTIONS MENU, AND RUNNING <config FROM THE TC COMMAND LINE OPENED A WINDOW THAT IMMEDIATELY CLOSED...

I ALSO HAVE A DIFFERENT QUESTION. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO HAVE 2 DIFFERENT INSTANCES OF VPANEL, EACH POINTING TO A DIFFERENT DATABASE (.LST FILE)?

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV » 2019-05-15, 07:10 UTC

You have to open Virtual Panel's properties, not TC options menu. Go to Network Neighborhood and do a right click on Virtual Panel plugin entry, then click Properties.

You have to execute VP commands from a VP folder/tab, it will not work from non-VP folder/tab.

You can copy VP installation folder and install it into TC as another plugin, you can have any number of VP instances.

nellossie

Post by *nellossie » 2019-05-15, 13:41 UTC

Thanks so much for these further explanations.

I copied my existing installation folder, changing the folder name to VirtualPanel2 and the name of the plugin itself to VirtualPanel2.wfx64
Also I added a second entry in wincmd.ini as follows:
[FileSystemPlugins]
VirtualPanel=C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd\wfx\VirtualPanel\VirtualPanel.wfx64
VirtualPanel2=C:\Program Files (x86)\totalcmd\wfx\VirtualPanel2\VirtualPanel2.wfx64

This worked! I also see "VirtualPanel2" in Network Neighborhood.

However, I want to use a different database (.lst) file for the second instance, and here I was unsuccessful.
Adding a second set of definitions to fsplugin.ini, under [Virtual Panel2], had no effect.
Similarly, making changes by running <config from VirtualPanel2 changed the parameters for both instances.

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV » 2019-05-17, 09:48 UTC

You have to use separate configuration file for every Virtual Panel instance, so you need to create VirtualPanel.ini in first VP dir and VirtualPanel2.ini in second one, so these VP instances will load this file instead of standard TC configuration file. Readme contains more details.

nellossie

Post by *nellossie » 2019-05-17, 19:11 UTC

Thanks a lot, it works perfectly :)