Plugin configuration - via .ini or .reg files?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How plugins should be configured?

Only in .ini files
93%
Only in .reg files
1%
Both in .ini and .reg files
2%
In other way (describe, please)
1%
I don't care
4%

Total votes: 174

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Very glad about the percentages of this poll so far. Avoid the registry as much as possible !
With that : also glad that TC is one of the very vew apps where you can choose during setup where the ini-file must be.
MPS

Post by *MPS »

exactly, i like to keep my apps in separate folders, so all ini's, user bars etc in TC's directory make it pretty easy to move and handle.
VSB

Post by *VSB »

Only INI!
TC is cool because it's almost machine-independent
versalzen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *versalzen »

i voted "only in .ini files". and it came to my mind: "and only in the plugins folder. all other locations are crap."
Was nützt der Löffel für die Weisheit, wenn man zu weit vom Suppentopf entfernt sitzt?

Mario
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Registry is the most foolish and f**kish M$ invention! AVOID IT ALWAYS!!!
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
ND

Post by *ND »

I selected "only *.ini files", but I spoke too soon.

I have no problem with the filetype of the configuration (*.ini, .*reg, *.xml or whatever), as long as it is stored in the same directory as the concerned plugin (or application) such that it is portable.

Even for applications I only use on one PC, why would the settings be lost/changed by installing another OS? (or by using in another OS with multi-boot). I always use portable software if I can help it (TC included).

I've had bad experiences with "centralized configuration" (Windows registry, Windows directory full of INIs, user-profile full of INIs, TC plugins INIs in TC directory instead of plugin directory, etc.), so I have become allergic to installers.

P.S. To me, INIs seem easier to edit than XMLs, which seem easier to edit than REGs, which are all easier to edit than binary files (SumatraPDF .dat, Firefox 3 .sqlite, etc.), but as Flint said: if the plugin/application has good configuration GUI, I don't much care about file format.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I agree with siealex but it's not realistic to avoid it totally at the moment, or ignore it.
I do care about the formats. I dunno about XML, but a *.reg file is considered to be an application, because it can be run.
An *.ini file not. If a *.reg file is double-clicked, the key contents are added to the registry. A very riskful situation.
An INI file should be in the root of the application, or plugin, simply because it's the first location the system will look.
robertut

Post by *robertut »

INI file for CE versions too!
siealex

Post by *siealex »

INI, INI, INI!!! For WM versions too! An ini file must be in the same folder as EXE.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
TotalC0mmander

Post by *TotalC0mmander »

DEFINETLY .... INI!!!

Because when you reinstall Windows ... you only copy the ini files and everything is back to normal
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I keep all my TC INIs and Plugins on my backup drive (D:). Easier to re-insall in I lose drive C for some reason.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license