new wcx msi plugin, need advice

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Jojo

new wcx msi plugin, need advice

Post by *Jojo »

Hello everyone,
my first poste here :-)
Anyway, I'm writing a MSI wcx plugin - I know there is one already but I need also export/imoprt tables feature etc.
There is first version available at http://www.volny.cz/bembela/files.
The plugin has also a preview feature for dialogs used during installation, which is now accessible through the unpack command - but I think it would be better to show dialogs after pressing the ENTER, but actually I don't know how to make Total Commander to skip those Pack and File not found dialogs.

Is it possible to implement such a behavior for WCX plugin? That pressing the ENTER would display only the dialog and not all the Total Commander dialogs?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

I mentioned this issue on the main board, about how it would be nice to be able to skip the TC Pack dialog with a cm_Packxxx command. If you figure out a way to do it let me know!
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

First let me say thanks for your plugin. It shows much more information than the other msi.wcx plugin. To avoide confusion in the future it might be wise not to name your plugin the same as the other msi.wcx. Maybe something like "msi-plus.wcx" or "jojo-msi.wcx". But that's up to you.

Why does the plugin show "file not found" after using F3(view). It must read some information to be able to build the dialogbox, so why not make a temporary file containing this info, that will be sent to the Lister.
...BRB...
Jojo

Post by *Jojo »

Ok Maxwish, it's called msi-plus.wcx now, thanks for the name!
As for the 'file not found' dialog - that's related to my first post question, if anyone knows how to avoid showing these dialogs from the code for wcx plugin. I was looking into this for two days and still can't find a solution.
One more thing, is anyone working on Visual SourceSafe plugin? I'm considering writing one as I'm forced to use VSS for current project at work.
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Jojo wrote:Ok Maxwish, it's called msi-plus.wcx now, thanks for the name!
:D
As for the 'file not found' dialog ....
AFAIF the View (f3) function uses the unpack function (without the 'unpack dialog' that you want to avoid) and then redirects the unpacked file to Lister. So if the View function works without that error, you will not have to worry about using F5 and that "unpack dialog".
That's why I asked why no file can be found ? Or if some kind of dummy/temporary file could be use to avoid this error.

Just had an idea:
if you would view a dialog and the "preview dialog" would be shown but at the same time Lister would think that you are trying to view a "directory" then instead of using your "click OK to close the msi preview dialog" you could just see the default tcmd error "No files selected". (what happens when you try to view a directory). This would have the same result in the user having to press "ok" to continue. So what would happen if you showed the dialogs in the msi as directories instead of files ?
One more thing, is anyone working on Visual SourceSafe plugin?
Better start a new thread on this because not everybody will read this current thread.
...BRB...
corny

Post by *corny »

Jojo wrote:One more thing, is anyone working on Visual SourceSafe plugin? I'm considering writing one as I'm forced to use VSS for current project at work.
Hi Jojo,

I've started writing one some weeks ago, but because of lack of time it is far from complete. :oops: Better said: I've only managed connecting to a database until now. So if you are going to write one and have more time available, be my guest!
Regards,
Cornelis
Jojo

Post by *Jojo »

New version 0.2 of the msi-plus plugin is available at http://www.volny.cz/bembela/files/.
It contains one fix - tables and streams weren't correctly updated after editing (F4) directly from Total Commander.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Can someone tell me what the number should be before the plugin in the ini file? I want to be able to open it with CTRL-PgDn instead of double-clicking it so I can install MSI files if I need to. I have it set to 256 right now but I think it needs more than that to operate correctly, doesn't it? :)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Have a look at the "Interface Description" at http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
#5767 Personal license
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

sqa_wizard wrote:Have a look at the "Interface Description" at http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm
I already looked at that. I'm new to this part of TC and was wondering what this specific plugin will handle. ;)