[Bug] Problem renaming directories using wildcards.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

atomix

[Bug] Problem renaming directories using wildcards.

Post by *atomix »

Some background info: I am a TC/WC users for a quite long time, currently using Total Commander v5.51 on Windows XP, Home Edition, SP1.

I had a folder with the following subdirectories:

Music.Files.2002.01
Music.Files.2002.02
Music.Files.2002.03
Music.Files.2002.04
Music.Files.2002.05

and I wanted to rename them by changing 2002 with 2003.

I marked the dirs and I used F6 (same result using Shft+F6) and I put as new name this:

Music.Files.2003*.*

The results was not the expected one (new dirs called Music.Files.2003.01, Music.Files.2003.02, etc) but a totally unexpected one: insteadof those several subdirs I ended up with a dir called Music.Files.2003 with all the files from the original subdirs (so ALL files in a single new subdir).

I tested this several times with the same result. Could you also please confirm this? I personally consider it a serious bug, so be aware of it!

I also know about the included rename tool and this is what I'm gonna use from now on but IMHO the rename function should work fine too. :roll:

Note: I found the same bug using older versions of TC/WC so this must be either an older bug or I am a newer newbie. :wink:
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I reported this in the old forum:
I was in branch mode, under my mp3 folder, to perform a rename of the extension to mp3 instead of MP3/Mp3, the result was not what I expected, all files was moved the the main mp3 dir, so I had to reorganize my entire mp3 collection!

The reply I got from Christian, as I recall:
This is not a bug, its a feature, where Shift+F6 allows you to move files at the same time.

I know u were renaming directories, but I think its the same thing that happens.
Christian, since you call this a feature, it would be wrong to remove it, but could you make warning dialog, telling that all files will be moved?
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
atomix

Post by *atomix »

I think IT IS NOT the same thing as moving (like you suggested) because if I have this dir structure:

Music.Files.2002
Music.Files.2002.01
Music.Files.2002.02
Music.Files.2002.03
Music.Files.2002.04
Music.Files.2002.05

and I select all subdirs except the first one (Music.Files.2002)

and press Shift+F6 and put as target: Music.Files.2002

all the dirs marked will be moved into that existing directory (Music.Files.2002) while keeping the original marked dirs structure so I'll end up with this dir:

Music.Files.2002 having as subdirs:
\Music.Files.2002.01
\Music.Files.2002.02
\Music.Files.2002.03
\Music.Files.2002.04
\Music.Files.2002.05

AFAIK this is the moving feature Christian was talking about and I am aware of it (also using it). Now try doing the same operation but use Music.Files.2003 as target - in this case the target is a non-existent dir. You'll get a correct error.

But in the case I reported above the dir Music.Files.2003 was not even existing before and all the sudirs were merged into a single NEW directory. This is for sure a kind of behavior I didn't expect from TC. Maybe Christian can enlight us about the difference between feature-bug. :roll:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Don't use * in the name field with names containing multiple dots. The renaming function stems from the good old DOS/Win31 days, where file names couldn't have multiple dots. Unfortunately I was informed about this problem only after the release of TC 5.51, so I will have to find a solution in the next version of the program.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
atomix

Post by *atomix »

Thanks for reply Christian. :)
When shall we [aprox.] expect the next version? (5.52 or the big 6.0)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Difficult to say, depends on what other bugs are found, and ho long it takes to implement the new features like Unicode. I expect 6.0 for autumn, but there will probably be a 5.52 in 1-2 months.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com