Some bugs of TC5.51

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Shanny

Some bugs of TC5.51

Post by *Shanny »

[face=tahoma][/face] OS: win2k pro, sp3

1. TC can create a new file by click right mouse as explorer, but the size of new word document (*.doc) is zero, so it's not a valid doc file, and the other formats is right, such as ppt, wav, zip, etc.
not bug2. There's a new command "cm_editpath" in TC5.51, but it only can work in toolbar, when I add the command to menu file, TC occurs an error.
3. Sometimes I double click on a file\dir, TC pops a message box: "No files selected!" or "File not found!". This bug is infrequently.

Moreover, not bug :D, I translated TC language file into Chinese, but I couldn't find the id of string "LS-plugins", Mr. ghisler, can you help me?
Thanks.
Last edited by Shanny on 2003-02-25, 10:41 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

new file by click right mouse as explorer, but the size of new word document (*.doc) is zero
No problem on my OS: NT4 sp6a

Are you sure you created it by context menu ?

Creating it with SHIFT-F4 and extension .doc will create a simple text file only (as designed)
#5767 Personal license
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

sqa_wizard wrote: Are you sure you created it by context menu ?
Sure, not Shift+F4.
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Shanny> 1. TC can create a new file by click right mouse as explorer, but the size of new word document (*.doc) is zero, so it's not a valid doc file, and the other formats is right, such as ppt, wav, zip, etc.
I doubt this is TC's fault, does it work if u use explorer? Try to look in "C:\Windows\ShellNew" or "C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Templates" and replace the file "winword.doc" with a valid doc file. %user% should be replaced with the currently logged on user or "Default User".
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

2Aezay
explorer work well.
There're two doc files in %user%\Templates\, winword.doc and winword2.doc (I install officeXP), I copy a new file and rename to winword8.doc, then TC work.
Gregory

Re: Some bugs of TC5.51

Post by *Gregory »

Shanny wrote:[face=tahoma][/face]

2. There's a new command "cm_editplus" in TC5.51, but it only can work in toolbar, when I add the command to menu file, TC occurs an error.
Do you mean "cm_editpath"?
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

Gregory wrote: Do you mean "cm_editpath"?
:wink: sorry, clerical error
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

I've just added cm_editpath to my menu and it works.
Are you sure you didn't mistyped command in the menu file?
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

Gregory wrote:I've just added cm_editpath to my menu and it works.
Are you sure you didn't mistyped command in the menu file?
yeah, it work now, I must input wrong word before, sigh.
:oops:
TCEE, TCPP, F4Menu -- Shanny
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Shanny wrote:[face=tahoma][/face] OS: win2k pro, sp3
3. Sometimes I double click on a file\dir, TC pops a message box: "No files selected!" or "File not found!". This bug is infrequently.
This is also reported in: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=208

Ghisler answered this:
ghisler wrote: There is a translation program on the market which tries to translate every text it finds near the cursor when you double click in any program. I have received some reports that this translation program causes such an error. Do you use such a translation program?
...BRB...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC can create a new file by click right mouse as explorer, but the size of new word document (*.doc) is zero, so it's not a valid doc file
The problem is that it's not documented how to implement this File->New function, so I had to figure it out myself. It works in most cases, but not in all. TC searches the registry for references where the document templates are stored. When it creates a 0 sized file, this means that it cannot find the template.
I copy a new file and rename to winword8.doc, then TC work.
Apparently the default reference in the Registry is to winword8.doc. I don't know how explorer finds winword.doc - perhaps it searches for other similar files if it cannot find the default template?

Anyway, if anyone finds a description on how this is implemented in Explorer, please let me know!
2. There's a new command "cm_editpath" in TC5.51, but it only can work in toolbar, when I add the command to menu file, TC occurs an error.
What error do you get? I tried to put the command both in the start menu and in the main menu, and it works just fine in both cases. If you put it in the main menu, make sure NOT to have a space after the command!
Sometimes I double click on a file\dir, TC pops a message box: "No files selected!" or "File not found!". This bug is infrequently.
There is another thread with this problem. So far, no solution exists - I couldn't reproduce this error yet.
I translated TC language file into Chinese, but I couldn't find the id of string "LS-plugins", Mr. ghisler, can you help me?
Sorry, this button cannot be translated at this time. It's the only new string in TC 5.51, and I didn't want to contact >30 translators just for a single string.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 24-02-2003 20:35:39 +0000 Shanny wrote:

S> 2. There's a new command "cm_editpath" in TC5.51, but
S> it only can work in toolbar, when I add the command to
S> menu file, TC occurs an error.

I suggest you do not use i.c. names but numbers in menu files 'cause they are primary regarding to names - take a look at my menu.[/face]
Shanny

Post by *Shanny »

2ghisler(Author)
Thank you very much for your reply.
I made a mistake on "cm_editpath", It isn't a bug.
if anyone finds a description on how this is implemented in Explorer, please let me know!
There's another winword8.doc in "%windir%\shellnew\", if I delete it explorer can't work, too.
So, if %user%\Templates\winword8.doc exist, explorer treat it as template, otherwise the template is %windir%\shellnew\winword8.doc.
I think so.
TCEE, TCPP, F4Menu -- Shanny
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Shanny wrote:There's another winword8.doc in "%windir%\shellnew", if I delete it explorer can't work, too.
So, if %user%\Templates\winword8.doc exist, explorer treat it as template, otherwise the template is %windir%\shellnew\winword8.doc.
Thanks for the hint, I will try that too!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com