sFTP Plugin and TC 7.56a

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I haven't had any reports about problems with SFTP servers yet, but there are so many different server softwares out there that there is a risk that they wouldn't work properly with TC. There have been problems with some FTP servers (where I don't support move either), for example a server reporting "Transfer complete" when the 2 GB limit is reached, although the file is larger.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
omniignorant

Post by *omniignorant »

Thank you for your insight, I understand the problem a little better now. Does the same problem exist if one uses SCP for file copying/moving? I've noticed there is an option for that.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no real difference, it really depends on the used server software. There should be no problem with most Microsoft or Linux servers these days, but please be careful with excotic systems.
MaXyM

Post by *MaXyM »

While using sftp plugin (by Christian Ghisler) and close TCMD leaving connection in one or more panes, it TCMD tries to reconnect while starting it next time.

I believe such behaviour may be useful in some cases. But consider using putty agent. You have to remember all the time to run Pageant before running TCMD, otherwise you have to way a few seconds (connection attempt) and click out connection error modal requester.
All those things takes time and making it annoying after some retries.

I would ask is there is some possibility to disable automatic connect the SFTP server just after TCMD start. Or maybe, to run Pageant automatically if not running yet.

Please consider feature-wise solution. I believe, similar problems may be caused while using microsoft network. In short, remember and open remote storages automatically after start must not be optimal solution.

with regards
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

MaXyM wrote:While using sftp plugin (by Christian Ghisler) and close TCMD leaving connection in one or more panes, it TCMD tries to reconnect while starting it next time.

I believe such behaviour may be useful in some cases. But consider using putty agent. You have to remember all the time to run Pageant before running TCMD, otherwise you have to way a few seconds (connection attempt) and click out connection error modal requester.
All those things takes time and making it annoying after some retries.

I would ask is there is some possibility to disable automatic connect the SFTP server just after TCMD start. Or maybe, to run Pageant automatically if not running yet.

Please consider feature-wise solution. I believe, similar problems may be caused while using microsoft network. In short, remember and open remote storages automatically after start must not be optimal solution.

with regards
And why don't you disable the option to remember last used Directories ?
Configuration / Operation / Save on Exit
MaXyM

Post by *MaXyM »

I could, but this option is useful for local disks/directories.
It's problematic only for remote directories.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

MaXyM wrote:I could, but this option is useful for local disks/directories.
It's problematic only for remote directories.
I found it much better to always start with a certain set of dirs
and not with anything left from last usage.
Also I never stop TC between reboots of my PC.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please go to "Configuration - Options - Refresh". Then put the following in the box "Do not remember these drives on exit":
/

A forward slash means all file system plugins, a backslash means all UNC paths, and letters stand for the drives with these letters.
MaXyM

Post by *MaXyM »

Great! Amazing.
Thank you.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When I try to move a file from a server folder to another folder on the same server the confirmation dialog says something copying the file. When I take a look at the log file it says the file has been moved.

Which command is actually performed? Moving on the same server should be way faster than copying/deleting.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

... move a file from a server folder to another folder
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there is no "move" command at ftp supported.
There is "put" only which means "copy"

Moving on the same server works with "rename" as a workaround:
Use new name "otherfolder/myfile" to move myfile to otherfolder subfolder or "../otherfolder/myfile" to move myfile to otherfolder on same level.
#5767 Personal license
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2sqa_wizard
Well I thought move/rename has always been the same command?