Custom window size not kept

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

drsza

Custom window size not kept

Post by *drsza »

Hi,

I'm using the shareware version of TC 801 x64 with Windows 8 x64.
My problem is that I tried to do a lot of things but the custom window size is not saved by TC.

Whaz I already tried/did:
- run as Admnistrator
- reinstall, clean install cca. 101 times (older versions,too)
- change the install and *ini files locations to another drive
- to delete the wincmd.ini
- to delete the x/y etc. values from wincmd.ini

But the result is 0. When I rstart the TC it is opening in a default window.

You can see a 2 min video from the first step to saving position etc. here
zeus.nyf.hu/~btmfk/A/tc2.swf
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

It's not TC's fault. You are using Aero Snap. As far as I know, there is no official way for an application to save and restore it's position in such case.
However, I found this trick: http://dream-forever.net/Blog/2012/09/10/how-to-save-and-restore-aero-snap-in-windows-7/. Maybe it's useful for the author, maybe not.
Last edited by umbra on 2013-01-30, 19:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
drsza

Post by *drsza »

I see. But in other cases the other software keeps the position (like Chrome, MS Word, Irfanview etc).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

This is caused by a new feature in Windows 7. Whenever you drag the top edge of a window to the top edge of the screen the window is maximized top to bottom - full height, but only temporary - i also happens with Windows' own programs - try with for example the Control panel window.

Just don't expand the window so far to the top edge that it expands downwards by itself - then you can save the size of TC.

Or you can use the keyboard to rezize the window:

Press Alt+Space, choose resize, press Arrow Up once to chose to adjust the upper edge, then hold down Ctrl and press Arrow Up until you reach the upper edge of the screen and then press Enter. Then repeat it all for the lower edge using the Arrow Down key. Now save TC's window position.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
drsza

Post by *drsza »

Y're my man :D

Thank you very-very much - you've solved a problem what was frustrating me weeks ago. I wrote in a lot of topics - in the Hungarian official TC topic, too - but nobody had the right solution.

From now on I'll link your answer.

I closed and opened the TC now 20-30 times at least - and it keeps the position :)