Search function (what symbol to include)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bert

Search function (what symbol to include)

Post by *Bert »

What symbol do I have to use to include a directoryname with a search for files. In the help file I see that for excluding I have to use the | (pipe) symbol
For example I only want to search in all the directory's named "My Documents" beneath the directory Documents and Settings for the files *.ini
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

No need for any directory specification in your case.
Just mark your starting dir (My Documents),
invoke search and let it search for *.ini
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hmm, probably first Search for: My Documents; Search in: C:\path\to\Documents and Settings; Advanced - attributes - directory must have a tick on a white background. Then Search, feed to listbox, select all and search for *.ini.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Bert

Further explanation of my question

Post by *Bert »

I'm talking about a network. I want to search for specific files for instance *.ini through the whole user directory on the server.
But I only want to search in the directory My Documents
I do have enough rights but i do not want to search in all the directories but only in his/her directory My Documents Every user has a directory My Documents in his Home dir.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Does my suggestion not work?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

Roman, your suggestion works - of course ! :wink:
But I agree with Bert, it would be nice to be able to select certain directories in which to search - in the same way as we now can exclude certain directories from the search
A new feature for Christion to implement... :D
Benoît
# 4081
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, you can type in all the directories you into Search in:, however, it does not accept wildcards AFAIK. Or you could select them (not Bert's case, though).

HTH
Roman
Bert

Post by *Bert »

Roman,
I've checked your suggestion and it's working but it's very slow.
Now I use a DOS batch file (a construction with FOR) and the difference between this batch file (50 seconds) and your suggestion (more then 10 minutes and then I canceled it) is hugh.

I thought when I read the help file that there was a possibilty to include AND to exclude a directory.
This is what I read in het help file:
- Include/exclude certain directories in search function

I can only find an example of exclude but not for include
This is what I can find in the help file
New: Include/Exclude certain directories in the search.
Examples:
*.ini | windows\ finds all ini files except those in directories called "Windows" and their subdirs.
*.htm? | _vti*\ finds all hml files, except in subdirs starting with _vti (used by Frontpage)

I suppose their is no option :( to search and include a directory but Christian knows the right answer?