FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Post by *Clo »

2Flint
Well, I've done, you have mail... but there is a small snag :P

:mrgreen: KR
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *franck8244 »

2Flint
You should use an ini file instead of the registry... Thanks :wink:
TC#88260 -
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

franck8244
Why? This plugin cannot be easily transferred to another system: it needs the driver, it needs absolutely the same absolute paths to image files that it stores, the plugin does not have settings (only the language selected), so what is the necessity of INI-files?

The plugin use widely internal WinAPI structures that contain large amount of fields (about 20 for each entry). All they are compound into one structure that is saved in registry in binary representation, so that loading and saving takes only 1 API call. If I will store all the data in INI-files I will have to read all the fields for every item, parse some of them, convert them into those structures; that will take much additional time both for me in developing and for user in working with plugin - and for what? The only plus will be simple saving of language selected when moving the plugin on another system. It does not worth all that.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
franck8244
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *franck8244 »

2Flint Ok, Now that's clear
TC#88260 -
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The bugfix release: version 1.26

List of changes:
1. Fixed bug when the name of "Mounting mode" group box was not translated.
2. Changed font from MS Sans Serif to "virtual" MS Shell Dlg so that it could be easily changed on every system.
3. Added French and Spanish interface translations.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The next version of VirtualDisk is ready: 1.3 beta 1.

Major changes:
1. Support for emulating floppy-drives.
2. The driver is renamed into vd_filedisk.sys to avoid conflicts with other programs that use the similar driver (for example, WinImage).
3. The installing of the driver is simplified and performed with the "Install" command from the context menu of the vd_filedisk.inf file.

Download link.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I have often been asked to add support for some other CD formats than ISO, for example, NRG. Now I tried to do some investigation in this direction, and to my surprise the NRG format appeared to be absolutely the same to the ISO (with only small addition at the end of the file), and hence, every NRG image that I have or that I created, was mounted and recognized successfully!

My ask to all the VirtualDisk users: please, check this behaviour of the plugin. You will need is to set manually the CD/DVD mode instead of the default HDD.

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The plugin has been updated to the version 1.30 beta 2.

The list of changes:
  1. The driver is redesigned so that the plugin does not need administrator priviledges to work. They are needed for installing the driver only.
  2. Besides the new driver installation methode (by means of INF-file) the old one (which needs copying of the driver file and importing the data into the registry) has been added, because the new methode did not suit to some systems.
  3. The NRG-files are now added into the plugin in CD/DVD mode by default, as this format in some cases can be mounted and recognized by the system correctly.
  4. For the experiment, the 64-bit version of the driver VD_FileDisk has been added.
The download link is the same: http://wincmd.ru/download.php?id=virtdisk
JP

Post by *JP »

What about "mount on reboot"? Any plans to implement this feature?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

JP
Yes, I plan to implement this feature in 1.30, but still not sure when I will release it (I'm experimenting with it now).

Forumposter

Post by *Forumposter »

I really like this plugin, but it does not seem to work with DVDDecrypter :o(
I often mount DVD Isos so I can load them into DVDDecrypter as drive to rip the DVD as it would be inserted in my DVD-Rom.
The TC Drives do not appear in DVDDecrypter, please fit that.
frenky

Problem mounting images

Post by *frenky »

HI *,
when trying to mount images I always get one error..

Image path: "W:\ISO\Solaris9\sol-9-sparc-v2.iso"
Error: "Z: The system cannot find the path specified."

I tried few free drive letters. Same error.
Same behavior with latest beta and stable version...

FrenKy
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

1. Are you using Win9x?
2. Have you installed the filedisk driver as said in the readme?
JP

Post by *JP »

Flint wrote:JP
Yes, I plan to implement this feature in 1.30, but still not sure when I will release it (I'm experimenting with it now).
Hi, I'm using 1.30 beta 2, but it still doesn't let you to remount on reboot.
Another thing: when I restart windows, it doesn't unmount the images, I need to toogle them every time I restart Windows. I'm using WinXP Pro.

TIA
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Forumposter
I really like this plugin, but it does not seem to work with DVDDecrypter (
I often mount DVD Isos so I can load them into DVDDecrypter as drive to rip the DVD as it would be inserted in my DVD-Rom.
The TC Drives do not appear in DVDDecrypter, please fit that.
I didn't use this tool, but as you describe it, it seems that DVDDecrypter reads the system list of the devices, not of the logical drives. Sorry, but at present such programs cannot see the new drive created by the plugin. It is planned for the future, but I still don't have enough time to find out how to make it... :(

frenky
when trying to mount images I always get one error..

Image path: "W:\ISO\Solaris9\sol-9-sparc-v2.iso"
Error: "Z: The system cannot find the path specified."
The most often reason of this error is improperly installed driver. Please, read the ReadMe file carefully to know how to install the driver. For example, many people copy the SYS file into the \Windows\System32\ folder, while it is necessary to copy it into \Windows\System32\Drivers\ ...

JP
Hi, I'm using 1.30 beta 2, but it still doesn't let you to remount on reboot.
This functionality is not fully implemented yet. I want to add it in the 1.3 beta 3 version, but have no free time at present to continue developing, sorry.
Another thing: when I restart windows, it doesn't unmount the images, I need to toogle them every time I restart Windows.
Yes, I have already revealed this bug, but the same problem - lack of free time... :( I hope, I will be able to continue the developing in the near future, but cannot guarantee anything concerning time and terms. :(