[8.0b2 x64] windows placement in multi-monitor configuration

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Egh

[8.0b2 x64] windows placement in multi-monitor configuration

Post by *Egh »

That's actually an old bug, just reporting as it affects the current beta as well.

It is a nuisance, not really a bug, but still.

Some windows (namely FTP tool, File Search and MRT) may open on a different monitor.

E.g. TC is started on monitor1 but I almost always move it to monitor2. Yet File Search opens on monitor2 and MRT opens on monitor1... (irrelevant of which monitor the main window is placed in) Weird.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC remembers the position and size of most windows which can be resized, including ftp connect, synchronize dirs, MRT, compare tool etc. When you use the dialog for the first time, it's always opened over the main window. But when you move TC to a different screen then, the dialog still opens at its old position (except when the screen was turned off in the configuration).

Any better ideas on how to handle this?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Any better ideas on how to handle this?
I see two possible solutions:
1. Remember the position relative to the main window.
2. Remember it relative to the current monitor.
I cannot decide as yet which one would be more preferable…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Any better ideas on how to handle this?
Configurable (via INI): RememberWindowMonitor

Values:
1. Open all new windows in main monitor (always - as is now)
2. Open all new windows in same monitor as TC instance
3. (perhaps) Store monitor info along with size (on "save position") so each window always opens in specific monitor, regardless on where TC instance window is. If monitor does not exist, open in default monitor.

I'm not sure if (1) is needed, perhaps it could be replaced by (3).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

For test purposes, I have added such an option now. It's not documented it the help yet.

Could someone test it, please?

wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
SameScreenAsTC=1

Shows all resizeable dialogs (where TC remembers the position) on the same screen as the main program (32/64).

For example, the tree (Alt+F10) or the search dialog (Ctrl+F) remember their last position. Run TC, open search on same screen, close search. Now move TC to the other screen. Open search again. With SameScreenAsTC=1, the search dialog should now appear on the second screen too. The left and right free space should have the same relations as on the old screen, e.g. if the left gap was twice as wide as the right, this should be the case also on the new screen.

With SameScreenAsTC=0 (default), the dialogs always appear on the screen on which they were closed.

I consider to make SameScreenAsTC=1 the default once this function works as it should.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Seems to work fine (so far tested: MRT, Search, Sync, FTP Connect).

Theres is one point where i would prefer the old behavior:
Non modal windows like "Lister" or "Compare By Content" should be excluded from this repositioning.

Regards
Holger
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Tested with Ctrl+F, SyncDirs, Find Files, MRT — all seems to work as described.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Could someone test it, please?

wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
SameScreenAsTC=1

Shows all resizeable dialogs (where TC remembers the position) on the same screen as the main program (32/64).
I think it works as one would expect it. Tested under XP/32, the following windows open in the 2nd monitor if TC is in it: BTM, FTP, Find, Pack/unpack dialogs, Buttonbar editing, Network connections, options dialog.

The only thing that opens in the default monitor (which of course is controllable by windows) is the command prompt! :)

I really like the fact that if the 2nd monitor has a larger resolution than the 1st one and you open a window in it (i.e. ALT+F7) and move it to the bottom-right corner, if you move TC in the 1st monitor and reopen this window, it does not get outside the screen boundaries. It seems that TC calculates by percentage the window position, relative to the new screen! Pretty nice. My congrats Christian.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, in the next beta, SameScreenAsTC=1 will work only for modal dialogs like search or tree. Add 2 for Lister, and 4 for compare by contents.
The only thing that opens in the default monitor (which of course is controllable by windows) is the command prompt!
Unfortunately that seems to be controlled by Windows itself.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
The only thing that opens in the default monitor (which of course is controllable by windows) is the command prompt!
Unfortunately that seems to be controlled by Windows itself.
Yes, indeed, that's what i said. :)
ghisler(Author) wrote:OK, in the next beta, SameScreenAsTC=1 will work only for modal dialogs like search or tree. Add 2 for Lister, and 4 for compare by contents.
Compare by contents already follows the SameScreenAsTC=1 setting. Why change it?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the user has a choice. Lister and Compare are special because they are independent windows. It could make sense to open them on the second screen while working with TC on the first.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

ghisler(Author) wrote:OK, in the next beta, SameScreenAsTC=1 will work only for modal dialogs like search or tree. Add 2 for Lister, and 4 for compare by contents.
Thanks for the option :D

Regards
Holger
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

History.txt wrote:23.10.11 Added: SameScreenAsTC=1 now only works with modal dialogs (child windows of TC). For Lister, add 2, for Compare, add 4 (=7 for all 3) (32/64)
Works as described in TC8.0ß7 (x64/x86).

Many thanks
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks!