Internal Un-Rar bug - TC8.B12

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Randall

Internal Un-Rar bug - TC8.B12

Post by *Randall »

If you unrar more than one file at the same time in the background, the displayed file name in all windows changes to the current file name. The actual unpacking operation seems to complete properly.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed, I tried with two large RAR files. Is there anything special with these files, e.g. are they encrypted, multi-part or solid archives, or any combination of them?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Randall

Post by *Randall »

They are multi-part - I handle several per day, mostly videos of old shows. It happens every time I un-rar more than 1 in the background at the same time as I view another. Also, there are rars that show 360MB+- in size but are actually several GBs. Again, they seem to decompress OK but appear to be stuck because the progress bar goes to the end fairly quickly because the unrar process has only finished with 300MB rather than the entire 4GB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have just tested it with unpacking two large RAR multi-part archives - one was 916 MB with 4 parts, and the other 526 MB with 6 parts.

Unfortunately I do not get any display errors. I tried unpacking each in background, then one in background and the other in the foreground.

Can you give me step by step instructions to reproduce this error, please? How big are the archives, how many parts? And how many files are inside them?
Randall

Post by *Randall »

It doesn't seem to matter how many pieces, in this particular case, there are about 85 files in the folder and a single file in the output. Each file is 50MB except the last for a total output file size of 4.7GB The second folder has 20 files going into a single output of 970MB. I have a screen capture of it but it doesn't give any useful information other than what I have told you. If you would like it, I can email it to you.

The packer screen has rar.exr listed as the rar packer and 'Use internal un-rar if possible' checked. I also have fhRAR.wcx in my plugins.

When I un-rar:
I use TC to navigate to the folder containg the rar files, I go into the .rar or .r00 file, highlight the displayed file and hit F5 to copy it to the destinatoin. I then click the background button and repeat for the second file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also have fhRAR.wcx in my plugins.
Ah, that's the problem! fhRAR is not capable of multitasking, I have checked the sources. The problem is that as long as you have never packed anything, TC doesn't check the capability flags, so it wrongly assumes that fhRAR can handle it. I will fix that, but you will probably not like the result: There will no longer be a background button when fhRAR is used.

Btw, TC can now unpack multi-volume encrypted RAR files internally without fhRAR. Just place the cursor on the first file and press Alt+F9, or choose menu Files - Unpack files. The internal unpacker is fully supporting background threads.
Randall

Post by *Randall »

Excellent!! I had noticed something else, it absolutely happened anytime the total output file size was greater than about 4GB. You might want to make sure you are using 64bit integers in your code, the files are only going to get bigger.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming the fix!

Please submit a new bug report about the size problems. TC should actually use 64-bit size variables already, but maybe it doesn't work in special cases. Therefore please try to give as much details as possible about the involved archive type, size and file sizes inside.
Randall

Post by *Randall »

Sorry - that bug is also in the plugin - the internal unrar reports accurately