Having the search files operation run in the background?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zeflash

Having the search files operation run in the background?

Post by *zeflash »

I was wondering if it was possible - I'm often searching source files for specific words - and each time I need to close the search results to go to the specified folder.

I would be so much easier to be able to do searches while still being able to access the file manager...

Maybe populate a new tab directly with the search results? that would be awesome. And be able to jump to the folder containing a result file in the other tab.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

You can use 2 TCs, one for searching, one for working...
Maybe populate a new tab directly with the search results?
"Feed to Listbox" button does the trick.
And be able to jump to the folder containing a result file in the other tab.
That is possible using Ctrl-Left or Right respectively.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

zeflash,
Search in background currently isn't done because when searching inside archives running unpackers might not be threadsafe. There was a suggestion to be able to run the search in background when not searching in archoves but Christian hasn't expressed his opinion on this yet.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

Well I don't search into archives that often, so if it could be done it would be great.

And if that could be done, having a contextual menu on each result in the search list would be great too - for example, go to folder in pane 1 or 2, copy, delete, etc... - along with the explorer menu too (but I think that's something planned in 6.02)
IGL

Post by *IGL »

Having the search files operation run in the background is great. I would need it very much too.
I sign under that feature request with my both hand
... and with both legs too :)
zeflash wrote:Well I don't search into archives that often, so if it could be done it would be great.
Nor do I. This could be possible to choose background search if "Search inside archives" is disabled.
zeflash wrote:And if that could be done, having a contextual menu on each result in the search list would be great too - (I think that's something planned in 6.02)
It is implemented, I can use it in TC6.02 Beta. There is Eplorer menu after right mouse button click. It might be useful.
:-)