Future 64-bit TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gigaman

Post by *gigaman »

Clas Hortien wrote:Hello,
the biggest problem we see under 64bit (x64) is, that the 32bit application totalcmd will start it's clients in an 32bit environment.
So if you start a cmd in the commandline the 32bit cmd.exe will be used and the SysWow64 directory is than the system directory. Even if you specify the full path to the 64bit cmd.exe the 32bit version will be used, as the OS redirects the access (from a 32bit app) to the 32bit cmd.
If it is not possible to build a 64bit TC, we can't used under x64.
That's not true - TotalCmd can do it, even as a 32bit process - it just has to turn off the system redirection for the moment and it can access the "real" system directory and start applications from there. The change in program code should not be very big (at least for this particular operation).
However, when you simply type "cmd.exe" on the command-line, it's not clear that it should really start the 64bit version... what if you actually want the 32bit one? ;)
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
poiuytr wrote:if it is possible at all to migrate the project from Delphi 2 to future Delphi 2007.
Why should anbody want this? for bloating the exe-file up ? :lol:
Just for thouse who want a 64bit edition of TC. No pain no gain (32bit+small exe or 64bit+large exe), you know.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

About the cmd.exe problem: Have you tried the solution with the hard link to your windows directory, e.g. called win64? Referencing the cmd.exe via this hard link should call the real 64bit version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
antoineL

Post by *antoineL »

C. Ghisler wrote:Referencing the cmd.exe via this hard link should call the real 64bit version.
Yes, but...

I love to just have to type

Code: Select all

cmd
on the command line and got a prompt (and I hate when I fall back to 9x, I have to type command instead). I know about the fancy buttons, but I still does not use them: usually this means moving the hand away from the keyboard toward the mouse, locate the pointer, etc. Far too much time compared to typing four keys.

However, I see a possible (cheap) workaround/improvement.

There exists for a while a Shift+Enter shortcut which launches "%COMSPEC% /c %cmdline%", i.e. 16-bit Command.com, even on NT!
On Win64 this is not really useful :mrgreen:, so perhaps the mechanism could be reused to get access to the 64-bit interpreter instead?
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
poiuytr wrote:if it is possible at all to migrate the project from Delphi 2 to future Delphi 2007.
Maybe to compile TC for .NET, to get the exe file down to 200KB ;)
petergus

Post by *petergus »

Thany wrote:
Sir_SiLvA wrote:
Maybe to compile TC for .NET, to get the exe file down to 200KB ;)
Please, no .NET version !
What's the point if EXE is 150k but you need a 22MB .NET framework?
Not every computer has .NET framework installed, I don't'.

Read this article - "The Coming .NET World – I’m scared":
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005_04_01_archive.html
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Thx God Chris will never compile for .Net :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Thany

Post by *Thany »

Most of the time, the guys complaining that they need to install a 22MB .NET framework (43MB for x64 actually) already have the equally bulky Java runtime installed because "you never know" is what they say...

So... the framework is not just for one program. Just like a browser, it has to be installed only once. And it can't hurt if it's installed while remaining unused.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Thany wrote:Most of the time, the guys complaining that they need to install a 22MB .NET framework (43MB for x64 actually) already have the equally bulky Java runtime installed because "you never know" is what they say...
Ever tried creating 16Bit Applications with .Net?
(btw I personally dont like java either - for plattform coding there is c++)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ado

Post by *ado »

Thany wrote:So... the framework is not just for one program. Just like a browser, it has to be installed only once. And it can't hurt if it's installed while remaining unused.
...you didn't red that link which petergus suggested... am I right? :wink:

ado