TC+Sandboxie bug

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Arcanez

TC+Sandboxie bug

Post by *Arcanez »

hey,

I made myself some shortcuts in the buttonbar like cmd.exe, mmc.exe for services, devicemanager etc. Usually explorer.exe has something to do with the startup of the program when I click on the shortcut. Now when I sandbox any folder a second explorer.exe will be started in the taskmanager. So at that time I have two explorer.exe in the taskmanager (the normal one+the sandbox explorer.exe). Now when I use my device manager shortcut in the total commander the sandbox-explorer.exe forces mmc.exe to run sandboxed but mmc.exe won't do that. So at that time my computer goes mad and the hourglass at the cursor pops up all the time but nothing happens. Those processes (sandbox-explorer.exe and mmc.exe) have an endless fight it seems and the only thing to stop this is killing all sandboxie processes.

But the weakness that causes this bug is in the total commander. The problem is that TC chooses the explorer.exe for the buttonbar/shortcuts dependant on the window/tab you have focussed in the TC. If you have the focus on a normal windows folder in TC your shortcuts will be opened with the normal explorer.exe. But if you have the focus on a sandboxed folder it seems shortcuts or everything you open in buttonbar will be opened with the sandbox-explorer.exe which can cause problems like with my mmc.exe shortcuts.

The bug can be reproduced easily

greetings,

Arcanez
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC does nothing about sandboxes, so it is not a TC fault.

Anyway the thing described by you it is a Sandboxie feature. If you start program from folder in a sandbox, it starts this program in that sandbox. If your button doesn't have start path set, TC uses specifies current folder as start path. You may try to set start path explicitly in button properties (e.g. C:\) to prevent TC to start program from your current folder.