slow Wifi connection with TC plugin

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dindog

slow Wifi connection with TC plugin

Post by *dindog »

My wifi connection is 65Mbps and I got around 3.5MB/s through Airdroid transferring file between my PC and Galaxy Nexus (ICS 4.0.4), but only about 500KB/s in TC for Android by the network plugins.

TC rc7 & latest plugins.... any clues?
Mueli

Post by *Mueli »

Did you changed the position of the phone e.g. distance to the AP?

For me the speed is as much as possible!
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Mueli wrote:Did you changed the position of the phone e.g. distance to the AP?

For me the speed is as much as possible!
No. same position (about 3 feet away from the router, and just test with ES file manger, slow too, I suspect it's about the mechanism of how file manger wifi connection
Mueli

Post by *Mueli »

I use 'Network Monitor Mini' and it shows (in any corner of the screen) full speed (up to 1.1MB/s) - and my Router (Zyxel) is behind a wall of PC's with a distance of three meters.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

there are two speed in normal wifi connection: screen-on fast & screen-off slow, and the speed of TC transfer file is exactly like the slower one...
Mueli

WiFi Speed

Post by *Mueli »

What do you mean with the two speeds? Did you installed the above tool? It shows the speed in any corner as an overlay. With this tool you are able to compare the speed in any app. For me the speed is nearly the same for ex. browser downloads or TC.
The speed depends on several factors:
if the router is an g-style type with 65 MBits/s the maximum will be about 8MBytes. But the bottleneck will be the flash card, the read operation is faster than the write speed and last but not least the Class of the flash card is a factor too.

excuse my bad English, I went to school in the early sixteenth ;-) .
dindog

Re: WiFi Speed

Post by *dindog »

Mueli wrote:What do you mean with the two speeds? Did you installed the above tool? It shows the speed in any corner as an overlay. With this tool you are able to compare the speed in any app. For me the speed is nearly the same for ex. browser downloads or TC.
The speed depends on several factors:
if the router is an g-style type with 65 MBits/s the maximum will be about 8MBytes. But the bottleneck will be the flash card, the read operation is faster than the write speed and last but not least the Class of the flash card is a factor too.

excuse my bad English, I went to school in the early sixteenth ;-) .
I don't install the app you mentioned, it is so obvious to tell the different from 3.5MB/s to 0.5MB/s, and, when I measure the speed, I just check Windows' task manager to see the network connection speed when transferring file between my phone.

it's around 24% - 30% at 100MBps with Airdroid, and 5% of TC
Mueli

Post by *Mueli »

You haven't read my post carefully enough .....

The bottleneck will be the flash memory inside the phone! You should download a flash memory tester in the Google Play Store to test what amount of transfer speed you can aspect. Keep in mind that transferring a big file will be faster than a sample of small files due to the overhead.

Take care : a chain is only as good as the weakest member
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Mueli wrote:You haven't read my post carefully enough .....

The bottleneck will be the flash memory inside the phone! You should download a flash memory tester in the Google Play Store to test what amount of transfer speed you can aspect. Keep in mind that transferring a big file will be faster than a sample of small files due to the overhead.

Take care : a chain is only as good as the weakest member
I read, just don't see the points how come the bottleneck will lay at the sdcard speed at this scale ( speaking of a few megabyte at most).

It's so simple, under same wifi connection,
AirDroid <----> PC : fast
TC ( and other file manger ) <---> PC: slow

copy a 100MB file from/to the phone, the difference is enormous
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's an Android "misfeature" because not TC itself is copying the data, but the LAN plugin (which is a background service)?

Edit: This seems to be a misfeature of Android 4: It seems that I have to set the flag BIND_IMPORTANT when binding to the service to ensure that it gets the same priority as TC itself when in the foreground. I will try that in the next version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dindog

Post by *dindog »

reply:
well, that makes sense, look forward to new version.

hope google didn't hardcode that by mistake...
I've tried 3 or 4 most popular file manager at market, and all of them work at slow speed.. it's strange that it seems like none of them has observed this issue.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have already added this flag to TC 1.01, which is now on the market.
I've tried 3 or 4 most popular file manager at market, and all of them work at slow speed.
Then it will probably not be faster with TC either. All Androids apps offering SMB connections (including TC) seem to be using the same library jcifs.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have already added this flag to TC 1.01, which is now on the market.
I've tried 3 or 4 most popular file manager at market, and all of them work at slow speed.
Then it will probably not be faster with TC either. All Androids apps offering SMB connections (including TC) seem to be using the same library jcifs.
Just tried that on play market (ver. 1.0.1), no luck, same slow speed (around 5Mbps)
:(

I wish someone using Android other than ICS4 would do a similar test, it may help figure out this is a library issue or the OS one
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you try some other transfer method, e.g. using my FTP or WebDAV plugin?
dindog

Post by *dindog »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Could you try some other transfer method, e.g. using my FTP or WebDAV plugin?
Because my Internet access speed is 4Mbps, which is much slower than the wifi speed, so I can't test with WebDAV.

FTP plugin is good, download & upload is in faster wifi connection speed ( around 20-30Mbps )