Load to ftp without change date

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

LonerD

Load to ftp without change date

Post by *LonerD »

When I load files to ftp server, their dates changes to current date minus 2 or 3 hour (?!).
When I load files to ftp with Filezilla or FlashFXP - their dates are preserved.
Can TC preserve dates?
Last edited by LonerD on 2012-05-14, 22:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Can TC preserve dates?
I does here, but IIRC it depends on the server.

Have you tried setting "Advanced" -> "Use MLSD for directory listing" in the setup for the particular FTP connection.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

TC does support preserving dates of uploaded files if server supports it (and you also have to check Preserve file dates option in upload dialog). It definitely works with MFMT command and should also work with SITE UTIME or non-standard MDTM.

In your case I guess that you use some older server software which does not support (or correctly announce) any of the above commands, so TC does not try to set the date at all. And the server probably does not support MLSD either and that's where the two hours difference comes from.

Post the connection log and all will be clear.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

and you also have to check Preserve file dates option in upload dialog
Maybe that is what LonerD needs to do - one might not expect to find this option is in the upload dialog but rather in in the configuration.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Have you tried setting "Advanced" -> "Use MLSD for directory listing" in the setup for the particular FTP connection.
Try.
In logs:
MLSD
500 Unknown command.
And no files listed on TC panel when I trying enter to the ftp.
and you also have to check Preserve file dates option in upload dialog
It's for uploading files FROM ftp to computer, and it work.
Question is about load files from my computer TO ftp, and there no such option.
some older server software...
But ftp-managers can preserve dates even without any special settings? Is the TC worse?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Question is about load files from my computer TO ftp, and there no such option.
I have the option for both ways - both for upload and download. But maybe it is not there if the server doen's support it in a way TC accepts.

Btw FROM FTP is called DOWNload, not the opposite.
License #524 (1994)
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

About Preserve file dates option, it seems that TC shows it only when it detects any supported way to set the dates. In this case it doesn't.
LonerD wrote:But ftp-managers can preserve dates even without any special settings? Is the TC worse?
The only way that comes to mind how other FTP clients can preserve the dates is blind use of MDTM command. Check the log in those clients to see if it's the case. And if so, why doesn't TC use it too, you might ask? Well, the original purpose of MDTM command is to *get* the file date. Some people extended it to also *set* the file date, but it violates the standard. Some of those people were at least clever enough to specifically announce this extended use in reply to FEAT commmand. Some weren't, unfortunately. AFAIK TC uses it only when it's clear that it's really the extended version.

But bottom line is, if the server does not support MLSD, it's hopelessly outdated. And even if setting dates worked, it's very likely that you would run into problems with timezones and DST. In fact you did already, it's those two hours off. Time to upgrade.
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Thanks for answers.
I understand - problem with server, and TC adhere only to the standards in contrast another ftp-managers.
I tried another FTP servers - if works MLSD - then there display options "preserve the dates" both for uploading and downloading files to and from ftp.
Btw FROM FTP is called DOWNload, not the opposite.
Of cource :) My bad English...
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

I have set up proftpd on the server - and now the date saved.
But there is a caveat.
In one panel open archive on the local computer, another panel - a directory on ftp. If I copy the files to ftp - file date is changed to the current one, can not save the date. This feature of TC, a bug or some setting?
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

When copying from an archive to FTP it looks like TC uses the the setting for preserving filedates (and for converting file names to lowercase), that was used the last time an ordinary file was copied to FTP.
License #524 (1994)
daanvink

Post by *daanvink »

When I start uploading files no dialog box appears. How do you get a dialog box?
How can the settings of the last upload action that as I understand are remembered by TC be changed?
Thanks for a reply.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have never not seen an upload dialog, and I cannot figure out what setting you must have changed to not have one.

The dialog is different whether I upload from archive or from a plain directory, but I get a dialog in both cases.

Do you still not have a dialog box if you start TC with a fresh ini-file?
License #524 (1994)
daanvink

Post by *daanvink »

That worked. I changed the name of wincmd.ini to wincmdX.inX and restarted TC.
Now the dialog box was shown when I did F5 from a local directory to ftp as well as before downloading.
Now the question is how to adapt my original (renamend) wincmd.ini, because I do not want to lose my settings.
I did some search actions in the file, such as 'box' 'msg' 'mess' 'dialog' 'ftp' but could not find where these settings of showing/hiding the message box are stored. But I have to admit that I have no experience in editing ini-files.
Any help is welcome.
daanvink

Post by *daanvink »

I guess the problem is solved. Settings for ftp-connection are stored in wcx_ftp.ini. This file has lines
PreserveDates=1
PreserveDatesUpload=1
Probably these lines have been modified when TC was started with fresh wincmd.ini. Anyway, now a dialog box appears with 'Preserve date?' already prechecked so I just have to confirm with OK.
Thanks petermad.
nn1k3

Interpreting help on PreserveDates

Post by *nn1k3 »

Semantics question. Please check my understanding that PreserveDates=1 will preserve file date/time on download. I ask because the help topic, taken strictly literally, says the opposite. I am not saying the help topic is wrong or should be revised. Rather, I just realized that a reasonable person should infer from the context and wording that "one" means "yes"

The help topic for wcx_ftp INI settings says:

Code: Select all

default]  pasvmode=0   1: Always use passive mode for new connections
                       0: Always use active mode
PreserveDates=0        Preserve file date/time on downloads
PreserveDatesUpload=0  Preserve file date/time on uploads (if the server supports it)
LowercaseUpload=0      1: Convert filenames to lowercase during upload
                       0: Upload filenames as they are on disk
[face=courier][/face]

But we should know that it means this:

Code: Select all

PreserveDates=0        Do not Preserve file date/time on downloads
PreserveDates=1        Preserve file date/time on downloads
[face=courier][/face]

Sorry to belabor the obvious. It might help another newbie.