Bug? In Icon Cache

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's simply not true that I have refused to do anything about this problem - in fact I have spent many hours on it without finding the reason! It seems to be caused by a bad icon extract handler crashing the icon extract function in TC.

Unfortunately none of those who had the problem were willing to help me find the reason. :(

What needs to be done? You have to find out at which file type (extension) the extraction of icons stops! So when it happens in a specific directory, you need to copy one file of each type to a different empty directory, then close + re-open TC, and finally go to each of these dirs until the bug occurs!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)

I really want to help in finding the bug. Unfortunately the bug never occured on my system. I guess there are no buggy icon extraction handlers on my system. ;-)
Clo

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous
:)   Hello Lefteous !
• Like I told above, I never seen that problem. But yet, I've a huge amount of file-types in TC, hence more icons to extract / load. However, I use "Cacheman"... Do you use it, or some similar soft?
• Whether such a soft could avoid the fault, that could give indications to Ch. Ghisler... ?

:mrgreen:  V G
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 09-03-2004 19:27:43 +0000 ghisler(Author) wrote:

g> It's simply not true that I have refused to do anything
g> about this problem - in fact I have spent many hours on
g> it without finding the reason!

Well, nice to hear, but may be if you can't find the reason of this bug right now you can add internal command to reread icon cache as temporary solution?

g> Unfortunately none of those who had the problem were
g> willing to help me find the reason.

It's simply not true, you know it - it's kinda problem to help you if you didn't ask (at least me) to do it. Anyway, it's nice to hear that you at least confirmed this problem, never a couple of years passed... %)

g> What needs to be done? You have to find out at which file
g> type (extension) the extraction of icons stops!

Already done, as I mentioned here.

g> So when it happens in a specific directory

This happens not in some specific directory but in all directories with specific file types (extensions). So what should I do in this case to help you to find the reason?[/face]
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Mr. Ghisler, could you add a internal command to reread the icon cache, so we can easily assign a shortcut to quickly reload the icon after changing some file type icon?

The "Associate With..." dialog can do this trick, but it really takes time opening itself.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

2Ghisler,

This is the first I've heard of someone with the problem being asked for help to track it down. I know I've never been asked, nor have I seen any threads on it previously. Anyway, for what it's worth, this problem happens with every filetype on my PC. Not all at once, it will be a different filetype every time I start/restart TC, but it is every filetype - no exceptions. I do not run any programs which could interfere with TC in this way either.

Regards,
CM
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Oh yes, forgot to mention - it can be files in any directory on my pc - it is not restricted to any particular location.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2romulous
This makes no sense to me - perhaps you misunderstood my question? My guess is that some file type crashes the icon extract handler, and after that NO icons are extracted any more, so it may look like it isn't working with any file type...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
romulous

Post by *romulous »

2Ghisler:

Ah, but wouldn't that only be the case if you could see that a number of filetypes had lost their icons at any one time? This is not so - only one filetype at a time is affected on my PC. If the handler crashed, than any filetype after that would be affected, meaning (more likely than not), multiple bad icons, which isn't the case. Also, it is a different filetypes & different directories every time you open TC - if it was only a certain filetype, than everytime you opened up TC, the same files would be afftected - again, this is not the case. Is there any good reason why you can't just remove TC's icon cache & just use the default Windows one - as far as I can see, that would fix the problem.

CM
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

only one filetype at a time is affected on my PC
I can confirm that. Strange.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 12-03-2004 09:40:38 +0000 SanskritFritz wrote:

S> I can confirm that.

Yep, so do I. It happens like this, though the same icon used for both file types in this case.[/face]
Clo

Possible reason...

Post by *Clo »

>>> To the Author and all users who have the bug:

:)   Hi all !
• I don't use the icons embedded in the EXEs for the file-types. I use customized icons *.ICO, or icons contained into *.ICL libraries (rarely).
- I never had your problem.
• Hence, I'd the filling that extracting icons from some EXEs (perhaps) could cause that issue... Especially when asking for extract the same icon a second time, while it's already used by another file-type.
• Maybe it's worth some tests in that way ? You may get icons *.ICO and *.ICL from the TC page on my site (button below). Whether you don't like their style, let change them later if that works, it's just to help the test !
:mrgreen:  Best regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-03-2004 03:28:45 +0000 Clo wrote:

C> I don't use the icons embedded in the EXEs for the file-
C> types. I use customized icons *.ICO, or icons contained
C> into *.ICL libraries (rarely).

Well, you'd better ask first - in mentioned above example used icon exactly from ICL file.

C> I never had your problem.

This is Commander's problem %).[/face]
Clo

Ghost-bug hunting

Post by *Clo »

2Black Dog
Hi !
Well, you'd better ask first - in mentioned above example used icon exactly from ICL file.
• I already watched that pic. It seems that you want to use the same icon from the same ICL for two file-types. Right ?
• What does occur whether you extract that (missing) icon, then set it as *.ICO from any dir. for the faulty type?
- When I need to use the same icon twice, I make a copy in another folder, and use this copy for the second function, i.e.: for a button and a file-type…
This is Commander's problem %).
• Well, okay: let's work from that hypothesis. The snag is that the bug is invisible by the most users, and occurs at someones' only.
• Hence, it's reasonable to think that the bug is revealed only when (a) certain external third-party item(s) - hardware or / and / software - is(are) present or missing in the PCs.
• A way to help, just an idea:

¤ In one hand, users having the bug might send a report with the full detail of the hardware PC-configuration, installed OSs, plus the main third-party programs installed. A dozen of reports at least seems necessary; unfortunately, we have not such a number here…
- The goal is to find (a) common item(s) in such reports, of course.

¤ In the other hand, some users who never had the bug might do the same to compare...
• Then, that doesn't need a very long time to parse this… Better than an endless wait, holy water and incantations.

:mrgreen:  Regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-03-31, 07:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 14-03-2004 02:52:49 +0000 Clo wrote:

C> It seems that you want to use the same icon from the same
C> ICL for two file-types. Right ?

I use the same icon from the same ICL for all associated with IView file types, so yes, right.

C> What does occur whether you extract that (missing) icon,
C> then set it as *.ICO from any dir. for the faulty type?

The same. Sometimes I use standalone ICO files, sometimes icons from library and sometimes from executable - in all cases Commander "lost" them from time to time.

C> When I need to use the same icon twice, I make a copy in
C> another folder, and use this copy for the second function,
C> i.e.: for a button and a file-type…

What for?

C> In one hand, users having the bug might send a report

Already did two years ago.

C> with the full detail of the hardware PC-configuration,
C> installed OSs, plus the main third-party programs installed.

Christian has all this in my beta-tester profile.

C> Then, that doesn't need a very long time to parse this…
C> Better than an endless wait, holy water and incantations.

All I wanted to hear is his confirmation of this problem existence instead of "sounds like a corrupted shelliconcache, try to fix it with tweakui" %). There are other uncaught bugs in Commander, this one is not the worst - the thing I really want in this case is the internal command to reread icon cache.[/face]